PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a dilemma here...

marqrotc
07-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi all,
I have been working on a pentalic nature sketch journal for quite a while. I'm only about a third through it. I've finished one already, this my second. My problem is I can't stand the paper anymore. I'm finding it a chore to work in it. I have a hand bound watercolor journal that I made recently that I really want to start.
What I've been journaling are events in my two young daughters' lives. I don't want to leave a bunch of blank pages in the journal but I don't want to work in it anymore.
How do you all deal with a situation like this? Would you tough it out til the end or just pick up in a new journal? My creativity is stifled enough, I don't want to hamper it further...

RainySea
07-30-2012, 09:36 AM
I rarely have just one sketchbook going . . . so for me, I'd say that if you are eager to work in the new book, then start it now and have fun. Just because you start a new one does not have to mean you will not eventually finish the other one. I have a Holbein one that I only work in once in a while when the mood for doing loose watercolor strikes me for instance.

marqrotc
07-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reply Rainy! I'm pretty sure I will just start the new journal, its not like I couldn't pick up with the previous one when the mood strikes. Maybe I will like the overly absorbent paper again soon.

poochemio
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I agree with Rainy, just give yourself permission to work in a new book. I'm not overly fond of the way the Pentalic soaks up watercolor or ink like a sponge either. I had a rather hard time finishing the two I had. That said...they do take other mediums nicely, pencil or cp or pastel for instance. There is the possibility of gluing your sketches done on other paper in as well. Good luck and play with what pleases you, paper and the mediums we like are a very personal preference.

DrDebby
07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Switch it up. Putting one journal down doesn't mean you'll never look at it or work in it again. You just need a break from the paper. No need to stifle the creative urge.

marqrotc
07-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you all for your replies! I went ahead and started the new journal. So much nicer having good watercolor paper for a change. Here is the first spread...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2012/212125-IMAG0845-1a.jpg

DrDebby
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Awesome that you are happy sketching again. Great little sketches. Like the first pony ride.

vhere
08-03-2012, 05:57 AM
give yourself permission to ditch a sketchbook you don't like!

maybe stick things in on the remaining pages? photos, tickets etc?

Only use good paper that you enjoy :)

zebby
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Love your sketches!