PDA

View Full Version : Scratchboard, Anyone?

AriadneArts
07-18-2003, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for info on working with scratchboard. I assume this is the correct forum to look in. I've found a few links online, but I know there are some WC people who do beautiful scratchboard work.

I've purchased Ampersand smooth clayboard and am planning to coat it with ink today. Anyone who has any expertise or info to share would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ;)

myorca
07-18-2003, 03:40 PM
HI Eileen,

Ask away about scratchboard, and I will answer what I can!! :)

Bob

AriadneArts
07-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Bob. I just visited your site. You do beautiful work. I haven't begun a piece yet, but I plan to this weekend.

One question, you say that the India ink is sprayed on. Do you use a spray gun? I was just going to paint it on. Will that do?

myorca
07-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi Eileen,

The best finish you can get on these boards is to airbrush the ink on. I have not tried to brush the ink on, but if you can apply a smooth even coat you shouldnt have any problems. One of the problems you could run into with brushing it on is when you begin scratching you may have to go deeper in the thicker inked areas to reveal white. This may not be a huge problem, but after working on a piece for a long period of time, you get used to how the board is working for you. Having said that, if you get to a thicker area, the desired effect may not be the same as a thinner area. I hope you are following this ok. This also holds true if you are working in a thicker area and stray into a thinly sprayed area, the pressure needed to scratch would become much less, and you may not realize it until you have dug a decent sized trench in the board making a much whiter area than intended.

I have not done too many where I have inked them myself. I have mostly used the claybord black.

hope it helps,

Bob

p.s. thanks for checking out my site...and your wonderful comments!!! :)

AriadneArts
07-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks Bob. I'll do my best to paint it on evenly. I didn't find any that was already black. What I have is white and needs to be coated. Do you have a source for the black kind?

myorca
07-18-2003, 08:52 PM
I usually order mine from Dick Blick. Hobby Lobby or Michaels also carries it but the quality is not as good as Dick Blicks. Go to www.dickblick.com then search for CLAYBORD BLACK claybord is not mispelled here...that is how they spell it. It is manufactured by Ampersand

Let me know if you need more info.

Bob

AriadneArts
07-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Thanks Bob. I just ordered some from Dick Blick, per your recommendation. In the meantime, I painted a 5 x 7 white claybord (Ampersand) and am happily scratching away. :D

Elankat
07-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Eileen, have you checked into the articles in the Mixed Media channel?

There are four articles on it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/channels.php?cmd=news&channel_id=8

Myorca, Inkskin, Freefall, Lorna12 and Crias are three who pop out in my mind as doing lovely scratchboard work. I'm sure if you search their past threads, you may find some good information and wip's too. :)

pfft
07-19-2003, 06:38 AM
Just thought Iwould add that the lines from painting the clayboard can be used in the design itself. (because brush painting pretty much always has lines)
I did this once but the design was not realistic, so it looked fine(well to me anyway!)

sassybird
07-19-2003, 09:05 AM
I have 3 5x7" scratchboards that I bought probably 6 months ago. I still haven't had the nerve to start scratching.......lol I used to do a lot of scratchboard, but that was 30 years ago. Let us see your results when you get to a good stopping point. Maybe that will encourage me:)

AriadneArts
07-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks so much, LeAnne. Diana Lee's articles are very clear. I've printed them out. :D

Thanks for the tip, Pfft. I'll keep that in mind.

Hi Sass. If it's not too bad, I'll post the first one. If it's terrible, I'll post the second one. ;)