PDA

View Full Version : thistle/cactus oil pastel

guilliame
07-18-2003, 01:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2003/6932-thistle.gif

Well not really my first,picked up pastels about 2 years ago used some cheap oil pastels and iffy paper and 2or3 went into the bin and changed to soft pastels and was content to use them, but on tues i brought some faber castell oil pastels and some w/n paper,have had some computer probs the last couple of days but did this this afternoon and i am quite pleased with the result so farm, may work on it some more,i would be interested to know if anybody has seen this plant before i took it in alum chine tropical gardens i have posted all my pics in the ref library,is it a cactus or thistle:D

Madder
07-18-2003, 02:20 PM
I have no idea what it is called, but I like your painting. Nice colors, it's busy but still focuses on that particular plant. I think that's very clever. It doesn't get bitty but hangs together well.
Cool!
Madder
I also like the "Swiss cheese plant" at the back, It's a quite recognizable shape for most people, perhaps that also helps give the painting structure?

Mo.
07-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Oooh Guilli ....you've been holding out on us... love all the varying shades of green you've used and the touches of complementaries to give depth........ not familiar with plants much so can't help there.... this is a lovely piece of work and so you should be pleased with it too.... wish you'd posted it a bit bigger though. :clap: :clap: Well done you!

Mo.

Dyin
07-18-2003, 04:13 PM
teehee...another closet OPer!!! Too cool!!! I too wish it was bigger...I can't tell what it is...but I'd call it a cactus....I love the fronds that cross in front of it...gives it great dimension....I also like your use of complementary colors...do you like the faber castells?

guilliame
07-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Madder,Mo and Dyin,thanks for your comments on this,i'm glad you liked it:)

Mo,size is 11x8 when i downloaded the pic into my pictures i changed to gif image and changed the biggest dimension to 400 pixels,if there is a way to post it bigger let me know and i will try to post it bigger:D

Dyin,so far i like the feel of these faber-castells,they are only a mid range set of 24,i could get hooked:D

Kathryn Wilson
07-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi Guilliame: Another OP! Want to see more too.

Not sure what program you are re-sizing your images in, but I use Photoshop and if the painting is a vertical, I save it at 300 x 450, if horizontal 500 x 375. But save it as a .jpg and I think you'll find they come up larger.

Dyin
07-20-2003, 05:04 PM
all right....another OP junkie lol! Yeah, I do mine so the largest size horizontal or vertical is 600 pixels and definately jpeg...