PDA

View Full Version : London Calling 1

Sasha_M
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-29-2012/1098692_London_calling_1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: London Calling 1
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm missing home very much and found a photo I took, laying on the wet pavement, a few years ago.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Its the most complicated painting I've attempted. Rip it apart!

I've lightened the railing behind the third pigeon already.

Sasha_M
07-29-2012, 11:48 PM
And I really really need a proper title for it!

maryinasia
07-30-2012, 04:01 AM
I love everything about this painting... except the pigeon in front seems too big... and the pigeon on the right looks ready to walk out of the painting

I love the background and the reflections

Wahsuzy
07-30-2012, 07:23 AM
I really like this:)

Debzy
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
I really like the reflection on the concrete, I instantly knew it was wet concrete, well done! I agree that the bird on the right looks like he's making his way out of the scene and the large one looks a little too big and perhaps his neck too long. However I love how you have created he misty drizzly atmosphere but still added much life with the ever busy pigeons and the colour in the foreground, lovely in my opinion. Cheers. =)) Debs.

Sissal
07-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Thicken up the big one's neck and call it done. Delightful!

Sasha_M
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments!

The big pigeon really was that big. I know because, after retouching, for complicated pictures I project the image onto the canvas and mark off the sizes and positions.

The pigeon walking out of the picture, represents me gone off to find someplace less expensive where things just work and it doesn't rain all day.

Joking!

I think.

Yeah I was aware of the problem but didn't want to turn him round because then you have too many pigeons facing left. As a compromise I darkened the pillar to his right and outlined it more heavily.

The big scrawny pigeon is hungry. She was eyeing me up as a Prospect. She is very young I think. Chicks can look half starved. I might well thicken the neck, a little, but she did raise her head. In pigeon, that is a question. Usually about food.

The tiny little pigeon in the middle distance under the far right pillar is there to give scale. It is imaginary. I was all too well aware it could end up looking like Attack of the Giant Pigeons.

Sasha_M
07-30-2012, 12:28 PM
I really like the reflection on the concrete, I instantly knew it was wet concrete..

Thank you sooo much for that!

I was told yesterday that it looked like they were all on the edge of a lake. By someone who thinks Bob Ross is Michaelangelo, to be sure, but it worried me.

Debzy
07-30-2012, 05:12 PM
You are welcome Sasha! I did have a feeling that the large front pigeon could in fact be young and gesturing something, I wish I had mentioned that, however, it could be changed slightly so it doesn't look quite so different, that is up to you and your artistic licence! It was a complicated painting but you have given a great and real feeling of the place, atmosphere and distance. Well done Sasha and hoping to see more from you. =)) Debs

Sasha_M
07-31-2012, 12:53 AM
You won't be wanting to see what I did today. Hell Lillies I call it. What a disaster!! Serves me right for thinking on my next painting while doing it. These are flowers, I thought, how hard can they be?

Andrewcody
07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I like this a lot and the title is not too bad.
Do you like the Clash?
:)

Andrew

arnieb
07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Youve done an excellent job with this one. Love the 'wet' feel and grey colours - very London. Arnie

Sasha_M
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I do like The Clash and was singing that song as I did it. My sister suggested 'London's Eyes'.

Andrewcody
07-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Well London already has the London Eye - I am not sure that Londoners view these rats with wings so romantically - interesting fact ( I think ) A pigeon
can walk only as fast as its head bobs.

How about 'Pigeon Beat' ?

Andrew

Debzy
07-31-2012, 10:03 PM
LMAO Andrew! I wonder if that is true? They really do seem to only walk in time to their head bobs don't they!!! Interesting fact if it is true! Lovely painting Sasha. =))

Andrewcody
08-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Well I am not 100% sure, but remember .... the red red robin comes bob bob bobbing along, I imagine it must be true as I have not seen them bobbing without walking nor walking without bobbing. It could be a gang thing of course.

Andrew

Mikey
04-10-2013, 01:28 PM
For me this is pure nostalgia and nice at that. I've had many happy times in Trafalgar Square. I like your colours.