PDA

View Full Version : Avro Anson

NeilF92
07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
An earlier acrylic that I'm really proud of. I have a great affection for the Anson and was really pleased with the way this one turned out. The painting is based on my reading about an encounter between an Anson a several Me 109 fighters -over the English Channel around the time of Dunkirk.
Thanks to skilful flying and good gunnery the Anson managed to down a few of the enemy fighters and dissuade the rest from continuing their attack . A lucky crew made it safe back to base.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2012/95311-Ansoncrop.jpg

halthepainter
07-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Wonderful painting Neil. I had never heard of the Anson.

Gray539
07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Good looking painting Neil, with lots of action.

vegaskip
07-29-2012, 04:10 AM
First class Neil, I share your affinity for The Asnson, another long serving a/c, I think some were still flying in the 1960's
Jim

Chas McHugh
07-29-2012, 04:24 AM
There was an Anson at Fairford RIAT in 2012! ......and there is about to be another airworthy one in New Zealand after a long restoration.

Nice painting and interesting story.

vegaskip
07-29-2012, 05:28 AM
I worked in ATC at Arbroath in the early 60's, I'm sure one dropped off some RAF officers for some meeting. I seem to remember they had to get the train back south for some reason, and we're not too 'chuffed'.
Jim

NeilF92
07-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks all,
Back in 1965/66 I was on Station Flight (Visiting A/c handling) at R.A.F.
Leuchars where we had 3 Lightning F1's plus a pair of Canberra T11 and a Meteror T7 alongside the resident squadrons 74 and 23 with Lighting F3 and F6's .
It was an interesting time when you could be seeing off a Lightning , a visiting F102 or a Buccaneer and next you were marshalling in an Anson whilst a Vulcan or Victor practised rollers in the background . A Vickers Varsity might be testing the ILS alignment , rumbling round and round the circuit and perhaps a Handley Page Hastings would drop by with stores.
Chipmunks from the UAS next door to us pottered around and every so often a host of Hawker Hunter GA9's would descend on us for refuel and off on some exercise .(And I haven't mentioned the Canberra BI8's from Germany , the Jet Provosts or the Gnats -oh -and the occasional Shackleton - we even had a Gannet drop by !)
Great days to be on first line servicing !

vegaskip
07-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Dare we say "those were the days"?, we used to get the Chipmunks over at Arbroath when Leuchars was too busy, the instructors would sit in the watch room with us while the students did Circuits and Bumps.It was my first experience of handling several a/c in the circuit, as by that time Arbroath was a Ground Trades training base, our only 'flyable' a/c was a Sea Prince( in which I used to get lots of 'air experiance' and the odd trip to Turnhouse on a friday for long weekend leave ( I lived in Edinburgh then) I was never able to swing it to get picked up on the Monday morning though , but who's complaining.
Jim

KarenESP
09-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow! Your work is awesome! Very magestic and dramatic!

napier
09-23-2012, 01:28 AM
great painting full of atmosphere and action.

faminz
09-23-2012, 03:39 AM
Just had an anson restored here in NZ. Only recently did its first test flight from Nelson airport I believe.
great composition in the painting, very well done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYmbtVQdW0

Mark A Bufton
09-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Looks amazing :-)

NeilF92
09-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the kind comments all. I bought the October edition of "Flypast" which has a full colour feature on the new Zealand Mk1.Excellent article - shame it's got the early type of windscreen otherwise it would have been even better ref material for my latest work , still at the setting up stage. It will feature a slightly distant Anson Mk1 along with two Hurricanes over farmland. Currently building a 3D virtual model of the Anson in Blender , only rough and ready though. Enough to get the bits in the right place.

madrock22
11-13-2012, 03:26 AM
this is marvelous

NeilF92
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks madrock - hopefully it is still out there somewhere - in a good home .

parley_jayne
12-04-2012, 07:08 AM
This is a beautiful painting any chance you would think of selling it.my grandfather flew an avro anson and your painting reminded me of him

NeilF92
12-04-2012, 05:31 PM
This is a beautiful painting any chance you would think of selling it.my grandfather flew an avro anson and your painting reminded me of him

I'm very sorry - this one was sold many years ago down in Manchester when I was in the Manchester Aviation Art Society. Thanks for the kind words .