PDA

View Full Version : TBM Avenger

8152roy
07-28-2012, 09:45 AM
13.5x19.5 Archers cold Press watercolour paper
da Vinci watercolours......
First attempt at Aviation Art....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2012/495631-IMG_0529.jpg :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

NeilF92
07-28-2012, 11:12 AM
An interesting subject to depict .
For a first go at aviation art it works pretty well.
The stationery prop needs to be kicked into action and the perspective/recession of the sky towards the horizon needs a bit more observation / thought , particularly below the tail but overall you are off to a good start.
Looking forward to more of your work.

vegaskip
07-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Nice one Roy, good to see a Civilian one for a change.
thanks foe sharing Jim

Gray539
07-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I like it in civilian colours, Roy.

8152roy
07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
The last Avenger flew out of the province on Thursday .
Forest Protection deployed about 30 refurbished Avengers over 45 year period ,to control the bud worm and as water bombers .An end of an era .I am happy to report she is going to a aviation museum were she will be preserved .
Thank you Gray 539,Vegaskip and NeilF92 for your comments and critique
of my work

halthepainter
07-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Roy I see you've gotten some great advice. That is really an excellent first attempt.

8152roy
07-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Roy I see you've gotten some great advice. That is really an excellent first attempt.
Thank you halthepainter; for your comments on my work.........

Roy

Shamrock15
08-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Was this one of the Avengers out of Chatham/Miramichi? Used to live at that base when they flew Voodoos out of there. It's a little quieter now!

Chas McHugh
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
An interesting subject nicely depicted in a difficult unforgiving medium. For your second attempt; protocol normally requires you to leave some space for the aircraft to fly into within the scope of your composition. ie position the aircraft slightly left of centre in this case allowing some space in front of the airframe. Neil is right about the static prop and there are many accepted ways of tackling this the most difficult being to have a slightly shaded disc.

I am not a watercolour man and I have huge respect for those who tackle it; but my understanding of the best way to do the sky is to mask the aircraft and then paint the sky quite wet upside down. Hang the paper (upside down) allowing the paint to sink to the top and if you want clouds dab with cotton wool once happy with the shading. Oil paint is so much easier!

Shamrock15
08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I am not too worried about the shape of the forest line. Northern NB is pretty interesting geographically, and that could work. The cloud is another story - values and shape match the tail a little too closely. I think leaving that area as blue sky would result it a perfectly fine image. Chas' approach for a graded wash does work well in this sort of situation if it is the technique you wish to use.

8152roy
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Was this one of the Avengers out of Chatham/Miramichi? Used to live at that base when they flew Voodoos out of there. It's a little quieter now!
:confused:
I am on expert on this ,but I understand that they flew from a number of air strips through the province depending on the area they were working.
This scene is in western NB.So I am thinking it could have came out of Juniper
or possible Fredericton .