PDA

View Full Version : trouble getting prints from dark gray paper

tulabula
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I have painted 2 paintings on dark gray (anthracite?) pastelmat paper. I have tried to get these scanned and prints made but everyone I have dealt with has been able to get a good scan (at least it looks good) but when trying to print them they come out way off. The colors just don't seem to pick up well and a lot of it ends up gray in color no matter how many attempts to adjust and correct it.
any suggestions ? I am going to try to get a good photo and see if we can do it that way but I know that is not as good as a scan.

allydoodle
07-28-2012, 01:45 AM
I have found that an excellent photo seems to work better than a scan. I give the digital file to my print shop friend, he saves it to his computer and then prints it from there to a high quality printer - nothing like the home printers, it's huge and does a much better job. Also, my friend can adjust the file on his computer to closely match my original, I bring that along with me so we can get the print as close to the original as possible.

For some reason whenever I scan my pastels the colors seem to look too bright. The scanner seems to pick up everything, and I mean everything. The only thing I can figure is that the pastel 'dust' is really crystals that refract light, and the light of the scanner just bounces around even more with those pastel crystals. Everything is exaggerated, and not in a good way. For me, digital photo files seem to work better, though nothing is ever as good as the original.

tulabula
07-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Thank you Chris I appreciate the information. Bright is sure not the problem we are having but I am thinking the camera may be the way to go with these.
It is good to know it works well enough.