PDA

View Full Version : Night Garden with Frosty

Sasha_M
07-26-2012, 10:39 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-26-2012/1098692_night_garden_with_frosty.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Night Garden with Frosty
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10 x 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Any lighter areas on the left are photo artefacts.

Frosty is a very old dog who won't be with us too much longer as she is 15. She doesn't have much time for people and hangs out or patrols in the garden.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Rip it apart. Personally I'm uneasy about the composition, and I've never painted a tree before.

song_bird
07-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Oh, I love this! Very well done and sweet image! What kind of dog is she? Precious rendering.

(Oh, so sorry to hear she isn't well. I'm going through this with my pets now too. It's so hard. Bless her sweet soul.)

P.S. On composition, I wonder if a couple subtle horizontal rails on that fence would break up some of the expanse in that area.

Sasha_M
07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Part Samoyed, part No One Knows. There is nothing actually wrong with her except deafness, it's just pure age means she won't have long. She minds her own business. I'll paint the other one soon - full Samoyed, 12 years old and still a big puppy.

I'm not too bad with medicine. What's wrong with your pets?

And thank you!

song_bird
07-27-2012, 01:24 PM
That's a very good gesture on her. And she's painted so well. The tree looks good. Maybe the trunk looks too narrow, straight and even but overall a very nice painting, imo.

(In June, I lost my 17 yo cat to cancer after a one year remission from breast ca. My big strappin' 10 yo suddenly came down with lymphoma a couple weeks after we found she had relapsed. He was doing well until a couple weeks ago. Have another 17yo who I hope will continue to be healthy for some time. )

Sasha_M
07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
That's a very good gesture on her. And she's painted so well. The tree looks good. Maybe the trunk looks too narrow, straight and even but overall a very nice painting, imo.

(In June, I lost my 17 yo cat to cancer after a one year remission from breast ca. My big strappin' 10 yo suddenly came down with lymphoma a couple weeks after we found she had relapsed. He was doing well until a couple weeks ago. Have another 17yo who I hope will continue to be healthy for some time. )

I am sorry to hear that!

Fish oil might help, so might keeping away from anything with growth hormones in it - difficult when animals eat meaty diets. Inositol and inositol hexaphosphate too. (IP3 & 6. It tastes really good).

There are a ton of things. Its really a question of how much you can get them to eat, but I've never seen an animal turn down fish oil :). It stops tumours breaking down muscle tissue and weakening the heart.

You could give aspirin, but only under a vet's supervision. It has helpful properties.

I'd tell a human to eat beta glucans, artemisinin and bindweed extract, but I've no idea if those are safe for animals.

Um, you appear to be right about the trunk too. Thank you! All anyone ever says about my paintings is 'great' 'fantastic' etc. Some real criticism is helpful. I did intend to post in the structured crit forum, but messed up.

Ms Nan
07-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Lovely, lovely painting of a treasured dog. I agree that a subtle horizontal line would be good. Thanks for sharing.

ahughes798
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I agree the above posters that a horizontal line would be good, but I also like it just the way it is. I think the tree is fine...sometimes, trees do have straight-ish trunks. The painting has a reverential quality to it that I really like.

Sasha_M
07-28-2012, 12:35 AM
I decided to leave it the way it is because, on balance, I was having enough trouble with the way my eyes wander over it. Once you see the dog, your eye goes up the tree trunk. I even brought the tree further over to the left to bring the eye back across (which makes the trunk too thin for it) then highlighted four fence planks to bring you back down.

She is a treasured dog, but I've only known her a year. I had several choices of pose and chose the one where she was looking away, because she doesn't interact much, and she will be leaving us soon - hence the reverential air, I suppose :/. Its just her - distant and remote, an old lady gradually fading, her head down, because she hasn't the energy any more. For the same reason, I painted her in a ghostly fashion, and at almost midnight. You can't see it because I haven't yet nailed art photography, but the shadows in her fur are blues and greens from the night and the grass, so she seems to melt into or out of it, up close. Looks easy - took me *three whole hours*.

Man, that dog is so polite she even waits till you leave the room before stealing your dinner.

Wait till I paint the other dog! A big smelly whinging furball of blatant thievery. Always in your face, always licking your clean outfit. Petrified of the cat. No room for reverence there.

tgsloth
07-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I think the painting is both delightful and original. The limited palette shows the "nocturne" effect and I'm really impressed how you've been able to produce smooth blending and textures with acrylics. To me, that's a rather impossible task. It's sometimes said that the job of the artist is to simplify scenes and you've sure done that.

Debzy
07-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I agree it definitely has a night quality about it. Lovely work on the dog, she is beautiful. I absolutely love animals and all their quirks and characters. We do really miss them when they go, but always feel good that we provided them with comfort and pleasure and a good life. they are special and give so much to us. =)) Cheers. Debs. :heart:

Sasha_M
07-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I think the painting is both delightful and original. The limited palette shows the "nocturne" effect and I'm really impressed how you've been able to produce smooth blending and textures with acrylics. To me, that's a rather impossible task. It's sometimes said that the job of the artist is to simplify scenes and you've sure done that.

Yes, one of the first things I saw on arriving here was someone saying how no painting ever suffered by its simplicity, and that resonated with me, but the rest was technology! used Atelier Interactive acrylics so I could rework it. With standard acrylics I need to work lightning fast, and it can be done on a medium sized canvas. Fiddly tiny canvases need too much precision, from me at least.

I could have used a quick dry paint, but I'd have overworked it with wash after wash. I made that mistake with my second painting, and might post it in the Disaster forum.

Talking of disasters, yeah the worst feeling I know is to lose a dog. 15 years ago I said I'd never have another one. Now I've married into a whole zoo.

I still don't know if I can work with this paint on a larger canvas. I hope so. I still feel too rusty to do oils yet.

tgsloth
07-29-2012, 09:09 AM
There's another paint option. Golden Open Acrylics take a day to dry. The negative side is that they're rather thin. I find though, that with light brush pressure you can achieve a rather swimming, painterly effect when working wet on wet so you could give 'em a try. Golden sells sample packs of, say, 8 colors quite cheaply.

Marcie ONeall
08-03-2012, 04:26 PM
This is an incredible piece of work. I LOVE IT! Even before you said Frosty was an older dog and maybe not long for this world, you could see the peace and acceptance of the inevitable. You have painted an emotion! I am very moved by this work.

Margaretta
08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
That touch of moonlight across the dog is masterly. I just find the white on the tree a bit harsh but it does lead you upwards. If it is a shaft of light you may see a little more on the fence behind the tree?
A really lovely painting.