PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

Winx
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-26-2012/677052_558156_10151973591355164_860497012_n.jpeg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hummingbird
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just finished this yesterday and it was the first time I've ever done a hand in oil paints. I've been working in oils for almost a year now and I'd love to get some feed back.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Im looking for feedback on skin tones and realistic values. Does the background suit something like this and so on.

hnhouser
07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
I think it's very nice! Hands are hard and you've drawn it quite well! I do think you could use somewhat darker values in the hand - With the direction of the light, it might be good to add some shadow to the underside of the hand and arm, and some slightly darker shadows in the palm and between the fingers. The bird looks nicely highlighted, with direct light on it's back, but the hand seems like it's not in the same light as the bird because the hand is light all over (although I do see you have some shadows). Don't overdo it with dark shadows on the hand though, or else the focus will be taken away from the beautiful bird. It really just needs a slight adjustment and that's all! The background is attractive - you have it lighter in the upper left corner, which is good. If it were my painting, I might have chosen a red or orange color for the background, just to really set off the bird, but what you have is good - more of a calm feeling.

Winx
07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Thank you so much! I noticed that when I looked at it again today with fresher eyes. I might go in an touch a few shadows in it. I think I was so focused on getting the hand's skin colors down that I neglected some of the shadowing.
Thanks again:D

HeidiMaria
07-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I like this the hand looks very good and youve captured the movement of the hummingbird and the colors beautifully. The skin tone is a matter of trial and error I find it best to test the color on another canvas or similar surface before committing then you know what it looks like when dried, there are some premixed pink skin tones but they seem to lend themselves to the very fair and light tones. I think this is a good tone but definitly one that would need to put on some sunscreen if they plan to spend any more time with the hummingbirds.

Winx
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Haha I like that :) "one that would need to put on some sunscreen if they plan to spend any more time with the hummingbirds." it is a rather pinkish tone. And thanks for the hint. I did build up a lot of paint on the hand trying to get a good color...so that would help a lot ^-^