PDA

View Full Version : For all the newcomers.

Mo.
07-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Hello and welcome to the Pastel Forum:)

I've noticed a big influx of newcomers to this forum which is great, please feel free to join in the projects which are listed at the top of the page, also we have a weekly thread which is good fun.
There is also a daily thread The Daily Scumble, although I notice it's title tends to get altered.:)..... This is where you can come and chat to fellow pastellists and tell us a bit about yourselves.. don't be shy... come on in and join us, we would love to see your work and know more about you.

Don't be afraid either to start a thread of your own, anyone can... it would be especially good to see you do this, you will receive lots of encouragement and very good advice if you need it, if you don't like comments on your work, then that is fine too, just say so when you post your work, we will understand, not everyone likes their work critiqued.

I sincerely hope my posting will encourage you to become a participator and not just a browser... a more friendlier group of folks you couldn't wish to meet, so come and join us and share your work with us.

Cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
07-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Mo, this is a great idea...it's helped me so much participating, I feel like things that I've struggled to learn are finally gelling into place...I checked things out for awhile before I jumped in and it was nice seeing everyone's work but once I took the plunge I really started learning and applying it to my work. The biggest advantage was getting fired up again...I'd really been suffering from artist's block and now there's not enough time to do all I want! So I agree...come join us...it's much more fun and exciting!

Mo.
07-14-2003, 07:58 PM
It's great isn't it Sue, and you have really become a staunch member in just a few months, not only just a member but a selfless giver too, you have given a lot of valuable info in the Oil patel thread too, I've learnt a lot from you on the OP's..

thankyou.

Mo.

Dyin
07-14-2003, 08:27 PM
:p (close as I could get to a blush):D

harmony
07-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey Mo,

What a great way to make newcomers to pastels like myself feel welcome :) Thanks for that. I have got a quickie thats almost finished that I will post soon.

I definately dont regret the day I joined WC... I've learnt so much and theres so many people here so willing to offer their help. Thanks to everyone here at WC thats made my last few months very educational :D

Smudger
07-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Good one Mo, you should make it sticky:clap:

angeline
07-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Mo what a lovely welcome you have put.
I stand by you with every word.
Welcome to all and please do join in.

Mo.
07-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the support guys... I remember how it was for me when I first joined WC!...... I would browse and lurk in the background for months before plucking up the courage to join in, :) .......hopefully this message will help all newcomers to join in......the more the merrier as they say. :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Smudger
07-16-2003, 04:42 AM
If you are a newcomer and are worried about posting your first piece of work (as i remember i was) then here's a great article to help...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/558/343/

Kathryn Wilson
07-16-2003, 09:21 AM
I agree totally - I lurked for months and months not sure of myself at all! I finally said to myself "if you don't do it now, you'll never do it." So I took the plunge and have not looked back.

The encouragement and resources are incredible - so don't hesitate! Post something and if you're not sure of the technology how-to, just ask.

:D

flower
07-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi Mo,

What a nice thought and opening for all those lurkers, funny that we all started off doing it???????????

I remember wanting to post my first pastel, everytime i went to post it, i had a look through the thread at all the other pics and then i stopped myself from posting, i thought "its not good enough," I read the opening to daily wash over and over again, it said beginners, i had to reassure myself that thats what they meant cos there weren´t any pics that looked like they´d come from beginners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................. anyway to cut a long story short I DID IT ..........i posted and havn´t looked back since.................................i´ve had so much encouragement and made so many new friends ...........................

Thankyou everybody

Look forward to seeing all you new ones here in the forum

Gayze
07-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Mo,

Thank you! Seriously, though, the warmth and friendliness (all smooth and buttery like good pastels ;-) of the folks in this forum really does make newcomers feel welcome, as well as brave! You all give such encouragement to new forum members, as well as new pastel artists.

Very happy to be here, and looking forward to being able to give back to the group in some way.

--Gayze

jmarshall58
07-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Mo

Thanks for the invite. Really I would love to post at this point but since my digital camera isn't working and my scanner of course too small to handle the full sheets I usually work on it will have to wait abit

JIm

Mo.
07-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Oooh this is wonderful... Look how our pastel family is growing, now don't forget to join in the daily Scumble, that way you will really get to know us and us you warts and all... and post your pic here :-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81755 (http://http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81755)

so we can see your mugshots okay?

Thanks Smudge for posting the critique link, check it out folks it will put you at your ease.

Gayle we move on castors here, very well oiled ones. :D:D

Don't worry Jim, we'll wait for you, :D hope you get fixed up soon, we'd love to see your work, in the meantime just join in the Daily Scumble when you can.

cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
07-18-2003, 04:16 PM
popping this back up, Mo....we got some good ones to join in on the fun of posting their work...hoping for more!!!

Mo.
07-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks Sue.......Bumpity Bump, bump, bump!!!!

Dyin
07-20-2003, 05:17 PM
ooops, bumped into it again!!!! :rolleyes:

Hey, wonder if everyone noticed that at the top of the pastel page is the Pastel Hall of Fame...there is lots of cool info in there for beginners...again, if you're lurking out there you should try posting....you obviously wouldn't be here if you didn't want to further yourselves as artists and it doesn't matter whether you think you're good or not...we are always our own worst critics anyways and somehow participating seems to speed up the development process...like Mo said...you can just say...hey NO CRITIQUE too!!!!

Mo.
08-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Well said Sue.. bumping up once more....... no more lurking all you newcomers, come and join in the fun .... pop into the Daily Scumble and say hello, then post some of your work here...we'd love to see it.:)

~ :) Mo.