PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 13th -19th July

Mo.
07-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Time for another weekly thread, last weeks was a cracking success, loads and loads of beautiful quickies, let's see if we can do the same again.

I vote Deborah's rubber ducky as the star of the week! :D
For those that need reminding there are only 164 days 'til Christmas day, :D:D... thought you might like that little bit of info.:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks thread:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117858&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Mo.

Gayze
07-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Figured I'd post before the "real talent" arrives. ::giggle:: Seriously, though ... you only improve by doing, right?

Soft pastel on goldish W&N pastel paper, 9x12 sheet, about 45 minutes.

My scanner's behaving rather funky, makes anything beigish or goldish show up "yellow" in the scan. I tried to fix it back down to the original colors, but it still sort of sticks out and isn't really a very good representation of the original.

(Her name's Dancer and she's much cuter than her pickchur ;-)

--Gayze

Mo.
07-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks Gayle for the kick start... good one too... what sort of dog?
He's a handsome one.:)

Looks like a greyhound to me, my scanner doesn't scan very true either tends to bleach colours, even though I've played with the settings... did you do ths from life?

Mo.

Gayze
07-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Mo. The basic pose was from a photo, but she was right with me, does that count? ;)

She's a Saluki, which is in the greyhound family. I have three (Dancer, Pascha and Kai the monsterbaby).

--Gayze

Mo.
07-14-2003, 04:23 AM
Of course it counts Gayle....everything counts in here whether from photo or life.:)

flower
07-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is something i did from a pic i took in ireland, its "Clough Beach" did it for a friend who was with us, please give me your opinions, there were no people there only the walk way and rocks, it took just under 60 minutes, in pastel, hanermühl paper

Madder
07-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi Flower,
I like your picture, it reminds me of ireland for sure. I like your use of darks for the field and the rocks. I wonder whether some of the detail on the rocks perhaps doesn't come across via the web resolution, but is there in the picture. I also like the band of light green showing the sunlight falling on the field above.
On the other hand I'm not quite convinced by the waves. I personally couldn't do any better, but I wonder whether there should be a little more dark on the underside of the wave? Also the wall is perhaps a little too smooth? like a slide. Don't quite know how to fix that, but perhaps the more experienced folks can help you out more.
Nice sky too
Madder

flower
07-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi Madder,

Thankyou for your comments, you may be right on the wall, need need to know how i can make it a better wall etc...............

Deborah Secor
07-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Oy! Now my husband wants me to put the rubber ducky in for real... ROFL!

Gayle, your dog is lovely. You're absolutely right--we only improve by doing! I think you're doing great. I painted a whole series of my dog sleeping. For a long time that was the only time he held still! Now he sleeps all the time--he's 15, and not a pretty as he used to be, but I love him just the same...

Patricia, I like the lush colors in your painting. The line of light green on the top of the hill is nice and I wonder if you could continue a bit of the light down onto the rocks, so there are some lighter colors on top of them.

This week I won't be able to contribute much. It's a writing week for me--3 articles due soon--and teaching a workshop Thursday through Sunday. Not a lot of computer time, let alone time at the easel, other than for demos. But next week I hope to show you something from the plein air workshop.

I'll be lurking more than participating this week. Have fun!

flower
07-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Hi dee
thankyou for the thought, will
try to do that

Mo.
07-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Patricia, your painting looks so inviting, would love to be there right now and paddle my feet in that cool sea, love the lush greens you've used too, as I imagine Ireland to look like... lovely painting.

Deborah... lurk all you like, I think things may be quiet here, the heat is getting to everyone. I'll look forward to seeing what you bring back to dleight us with.

Vegas Art Guy
07-14-2003, 07:02 PM
All right now you've gone and guilted me into doing another drawing this week. I'll think of something besides my coffee cup to draw... :D

Mo.
07-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Okay Vegas...... so that got you off your butt hey:D:D

Get to it.... mush...mush!!!!

Vegas Art Guy
07-14-2003, 07:41 PM
I KNEW I should have brought my conte crayons as well as the pencils this morning, but in the rush of making sure my daughter was getting ready and that I brought my lunch, etc, I spaced it. Ah, well the week is young... Hot, but young.

Mo.
07-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Tsk,TSk... I rushed in here expecting to see a painting from you. LOL!

Get to it!. :D

Mo.
07-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Come on Vegas and everyone... where's your sketches? :D

Drumbeat-trish
07-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Eeeek -I haven't been in here for soooooo long !!!!!!

Gayle-love your saluki -they are beautiful dogs aren't they -don't know how you handle all that fur with 3 of them though ;) I think you did a great job.

flower - lovely greens -very pretty scene :)

Ok I'm gonna show this one I did for the Here there be monsters project -figured it would count here cause it was like a real fast 15 min sketch. Its meant to be a bit of a joke. My green-eyed ladywho sometimes wells up from a hurting heart and causes trouble ;) Not even so much a sketch as semi-controlled scribble
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2003/6194-grnldy.jpg

flower
07-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi again,

Thanks Mo and trish for your comments, hey trish that looks like my neighbour, the one i don´t talk too lol

Mo.
07-15-2003, 05:14 PM
OMG Trish I thought for a minute I was in the wrong forum. :D:D

Love your gren eyed Monster, what a great concept... and those fingernails and boob . :D WOW! Terrific imagination

Vegas Art Guy
07-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Wow I didn't know Cruella DaVille had a sister! :D And yes Mo, I did do a drawing for the thread. I'll upload it either tonite or tomorrow depending on my schedule. (Busy Busy, that's me!)

Greg

Kathryn Wilson
07-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Hey everybody - (hey is really hello but a southern idiom) - anyway I wanted to post something here today but went over my time limit, so it is posted as a new thread.

For the OP folks this time - a foxy fox. Still trying to figure out what I can do with OP's and not. :D

Vegas Art Guy
07-15-2003, 09:27 PM
As promised one drawing. 45minutes of a VERY dirty little towel on the docutech I was babysitting... (conte crayon)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2003/23340-dirty-towel.jpg

PS The room is lit with lots and lots of flouresent lights...

gredelin
07-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Okay, I promised myself for real now - I will, I will, I WILL post something in this thread every week.
Please someone help me, with a kick in the butt once in a while!

Here's a real quickie, I was going to try a cloud study, couldn't resist the top of the cathedral tower visible from my balcony, and got interrupted after 20 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2003/13872-gthchurch1.jpg
It was really done last week, and has been rained on a little bit since then, but it's there! Rembrandts on blue Canson.

I'll be back to comment on everybody, got to run
/Gunilla

Deborah Secor
07-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Keep up the good work everybody. I can't paint this week--well, I'll be painting but no time to shoot and show it here--but I love seeing what you're doing.

Vegas--I admire you're tenacity in drawing while at work!

Gunilla--that sky is wonderful, I love the horizontals against the strong vertical. (Rain? Wow, it's raining somewhere? You are so blessed... )
:D

Some people are really encouraging me to add the rubber ducky to the water and rock painting. What do you think--do it for real or not??? LOL (I should post a poll...)

Okay, gotta go start cleaning this studio, I have students coming tomorrow.

Vegas Art Guy
07-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Lucky students they are dee, (and I'm with you on the rain part gotta love the desert!) got tired of drawing the coffee cup, so tried the towel instead. Gredelin, nice sky study and that tower is wonderful. If I have the chance I'll try to do another drawing, but with my schedule.. who knows?

Vegas Art Guy
07-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Fair warning, I'll be posting another drawing tonite (I hope) 20 conte drawing. It was an experiment and I'll let all of you pros decide how it went... See Mo, guilt me a bit and I get creative... usually! :D :D

Gayze
07-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi, all, what lovely images! :) I love this thread.

Patricia, Clough Beach looks like a wonderful place. I'd be tempted to climb onto that wall and follow it up and around the bend. Very peaceful and inspiring scene.

Deborah, your dog is fifteen? How fantastic. He must have wonderful love and care. What kind of dog is he, what's his name? Re: the duckie... I'm not so sure about putting it into the actual painting ... or how about doing two? One with and one without? ;)

Trish, your green eyed monster is great! What fun! Saluki-fur isn't too bad, really. They're short-haired except for some fringing on ears and tail and such. I find more to vacuum up from the three Siamese cats.

Vegas, good for you, putting that idle time at work to such great use! Your drawings really give me a sense of your day -- I can just see you in my mind sitting waiting for jobs to complete and reaching for the paper and contes!

Gunilla, what a lovely balcony view! That steeple has delightful character, and the lovely clouds and sky really set it off in such a pretty way.

--Gayze

Vegas Art Guy
07-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Sorry I have not posted my drawing yet. Hectic schedule and I think I just caught a cold. :( I may not get that drawing posted until Friday.

angeline
07-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Ok here is my one and only sketch i got done while i was away......it is an Athena flower and i was trying to capure the sunlight on the petals......i did this in about 30 mins and then had to give up because of the kids!the leaves are not done and i havent got the stamen in......i will go back to this when i get chance. its only small done on a sennlier pad 6" by 9"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2003/19726-Athena.jpg

Madder
07-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Wow Angeline, those colors SING !!!:music:

Drumbeat-trish
07-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Vegas - nice look to that 'dirty-little towel' :) Must practise doing those folds and things myself :)

Guinella - love that steeple -very lofty and moody :)

Hayley - gorgeous colours -do show us when its finished :)

Mo.
07-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Great little sketch Greg, didn't realise you were so busy, and now you've caught E-J's cold.... I would never have got the whip out if I'd realised :D:D.... just relax now and kill that cold :D

Gunilla you must have a spectacular view from your window, love that steeple outlined against the sky..... Hayley, I guess you holiday was too busy for you to do much painting, how often I've been full of enthusiam to paint when on hols, but never seem to.... you've sure caught the sunlight on the flower, gorgeous colour... hope you finish it..... be a shame not to. :)

Vegas Art Guy
07-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Actually I caught my wife's cold... This was just a crazy week, no rest until tomorrow night...

flower
07-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone,

Vegas, don´t know it its dirty bvut it looks good lol

Angeline what vibrant colours just the way i like it can´t wait to see it with the green background of leaves..............lovely

Gayze thanks for your comment, when you foll9w the wall up and around theres another beach and its also beautiful

Gredelin that steeple could be in germany it looks so "German" or gothic,

When the summer is over i hope i can send more sketches through, i´m missing not doing them but its so hot and sticky that i don´t have the lust to get my pastels out lol, we moan when its cold we moan when its hot we moan when we´ve nothing to moan about lol

Vegas Art Guy
07-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Here is a picture of that dirty towel. Taken by my co-worker ssnipe. Of course he used the flash, ruined EVERYTHING! :D :D

Greg
PS That is a DIRTY towel...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2003/23340-dirty-towel-ssnipe.jpg
And my drawing...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2003/23340-dirty-towel.jpeg

Mo.
07-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Eeeeoooowie yuck.. that's dirty:D:D... hope that's oil I see there and not the deposits of your cold. :evil: :D :eek:...

Take care Greg.... ;)

Vegas Art Guy
07-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Oil, grease, dirt, toner and who knows what else. I still have one drawing to post here, I'll do that tonite.

E-J
07-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Nice sketches, everyone.

This is a loose one, 35 mins. Mo tweaked my conscience in the Daily Scumble :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2003/13865-egg_cup.jpg

Feels good to get the pastels out for the first time in a week.

Deborah Secor
07-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Wow! Nice colors, E_J! Love it...

Okay, here is one of my morning paintings on location. Took about a half hour, done on toned Wallis, 12x18". The location is near my house.

E-J
07-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Wow backatcha, Deborah :D I love the expressive marks in this. Wonderful for just half an hour's work!

Deborah Secor
07-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Here's another one I did in ~20 minutes on location this morning, and the painting I did as a half-hour or so demo for my students . I'm trying to show them how to the combine color sketche and photos taken at the same time into a more finished painting. (Though I don't know if I would call the second one 100% finished.)

(Never have used the uploader, so here goes...)

This one is 12x18", on Wallis:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2003/23609-olives_SECOR.jpg

This one is on La Carte, maybe close to the same size:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2003/23609-olivesstudio_SECOR.jpg

More tomorrow, I hope...

Mo.
07-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey E-J ... I'm a :evil: tweaking your conscience.... but look what's come of it.:D:D you are a whiz at these quickies don't you know...super stuff.:)

Deborah lovely, lovely sketches...I'm in awe... I like the almost abstract look to these... wonderful work.....more to tomorrow? Yes please delight us some more :)

Well here is my humble, awful offering of a quicky... I had these gorgeous toms in the fridge...still on the vine.... so just plonked them down on the table and did a quicky with OP's.... but the reds, did not want to play at all....purposely left out any background to give the 'hanging' look... Gawd don't they hang:D:D... 20 mins of getting rid of some frustration.:D:D
about 6"x7" on an odd scrap of black Art Spectrum

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2003/5154-toms.jpg

Vegas Art Guy
07-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Mmmm tomatoes.... get me a knife and some salt! Nice drawings too Dee & EJ, Mo manages to push my guilt button pretty well too! :D

Kathryn Wilson
07-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Ooooweee, Deborah - I am jeolous, I wannnnaa be there with you and your class. Love the colors!!

Mo: Good to see you sketching again - those reds are yummy!

E-J
07-19-2003, 05:37 AM
Mo ~ I LIKE your tomatoes ~ especially the stalks and the green 'spidery' bits that I'm sure have a technical name that I don't know enough about tomatoes to know :D We've got toms growing in our back garden ... so many that they got too heavy for the vine while we were away and all fell over :rolleyes:

I am determined to participate a lot more in the sketch thread next week!

nougat
07-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi all

super super sketches!!! sorry not to have been here sooner (I know its almost too late!! but better late than never!)

I've been very busy this week but I was determined to get at least on little sketch done ... and here it is!!

Its the 'other' armchair in our living room. Took 25 mins to do.

excuse the terrible scan. I won't bore you all again with a repeat of 'WHY '.

I'm looking forward to next week's (TOMORROW'S) sketch!!

n

Gayze
07-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Ah, so glad I decided to peek in before running out for the afternoon!

Eggs and tomatos (or as we say in New York, tuhMAYduhs), yummy! We're on our way to a lovely lunch. :) And a chair arm without cat scratch destruction all over it! Wow, I didn't know they made them like that. (tee hee) Wonderful sketches, everyone!

Deborah, how far do you live from your painting location? Do you get to enjoy this wonderful scenery every day? Your students are so fortunate! I'm awed that you can create something so lovely in twenty minutes.

--Gayze

tick149
07-19-2003, 12:24 PM
This was done on Strathmore pastel paper using Rembrandt and Stabillo pencil. (9x12)

angeline
07-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Ohhhhhhhh look at all these wonderful sketches........I just love what this thread throws up every week......Yes i will get that flower finished I have photos i can refer to....plus lots more flowers from my mums garden.

Vegas Art Guy
07-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Sorry it took me so long to upload this drawing. 30 minute conte sketch. The brown is supposed to be the highlights and the sanguine is supposed to be the shadows. It was interesting anyway... Sorry I did not use the uploader, said the file was too big, and I'm in no mood to reopen photoslop and resize it again. Oh, and here is the original photo reference...
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/2428159

Drumbeat-trish
07-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Very cool Greg !!!!!!

Nougat -love that armchair -so soft and comfy

Tick - I like your little scene there - cool choice of colours

Deborah -your work is amazing

Love your fruit E-J

Mo - your toms hang beautifully :)

Mo.
07-19-2003, 07:30 PM
E-J and all... you are all too kind about my tommies.. I think they are gawd awful. :D... the reds would not play at all... funnily enough I found the same problem with reds using soft pastels... anyone else have that problem?..... Great armchair sketch.. Nougat... surely that's not your real name? :D.......

Het Greg.... the ref pic that showed for me was different to your sketch.... perhaps I'm missing something.... I'm not too sure about what you've painted, please enlighten this thickhead here... like what I see though.

will post a new thread soon folks... keep 'em coming... enjoy your weekend all.

editing here to add.......

Sheesh Tick... I almost missed that gorgeous little painting of yours good thing I checked back... it's marvellous, but why so small?... please post a bigger one, it looks so lovely.

Mo.

E-J
07-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Nadine, looks like leather, nice and shiny! Amante, welcome to the sketch thread ... I'd like to see a larger pic too, as what you've sketched looks interesting. Greg, even if the Uploader tells you your picture is too large, you don't need to resize anything, it does it for you and you should still see the [ IMG ] code you need to post, a bit further down the page.

nougat
07-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Well done all!!!! I just loved all of these sketches!! and thanks for welcoming me into this thread!. Yes my real name is Nadine as E-J discovered!!!
Yes the chair is leather and altho no cat marks its got BOY marks all over and is in desperate need of reupholstery!!!
But where would we sit whilst its gone???
I expect that this is the end of this thread?? and on to next (this) weeks????
see you there all!!!

n:clap:

Deborah Secor
07-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Gayze--I live near the areas I paint, yes,so I can see these views if I go out and seek them, but I don't see them every day.

I've been in the midst of teaching an on-location workshop (which is as of now DONE!...whew...) It was 100 degrees at our house yesterday--and we're at 7,000' in the mountains--so we didn't paint out too long, trust me.

I think that leather couch looks awfully comfy, nougat! I can see why you wouldn't want to have it gone, even to get it recovered. Nice sketch.

Tick, that little blue painting is lovely but I want it larger too!

Vegas, I like the idea of switching the values for colors--ggod idea to try that. Somehow I always want to have my light values light colors and never think to make them dark. Interesting...

Here's a new challenge for you: paint using the correct value but the opposite color on the color wheel.
;)

I'll have more to show next thread... I'm now heading out to put my feet up, turn my new cooler on, and veg.

tick149
07-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Here is the larger version

tick149
07-20-2003, 08:44 PM
again

Vegas Art Guy
07-20-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm fighting off a cold and had just enough energy to post the file.
Mo- I used arbitrary colors for light and shadow. In a way it's inverted. I SHOULD have used the sanguine for the highlights and the brown for the shadows, but NO I had to try something different :D and mess with everyone's head. :D :D I'm start to get the hang of the uploader thing, especially when I'm not hoppped up on nyquil. ;)