PDA

View Full Version : thevaliantx's pastel journal

thevaliantx
07-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I've decided to just put my pastel drawings over in here since my CP stuff is already here.

I hope you all like them, I'm really getting into the finger blending and the blurriness of pastel stuff. Yeah, I know there are detailed pastel drawings out there. :cool:

DrDebby
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Cool finger works. :) Great pastel sketches.

thevaliantx
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
My wife, son and I went to the Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory in Deerfield, Massachusetts yesterday. I took a handful of pics with my phone, some didn't come out okay. Because my pastel pallette is currently limited in colors I couldn't work the pink into the flower, and I had a difficult time getting the stigma to show up.

thevaliantx
07-20-2012, 12:24 AM
This last piece I created by first using a 5H graphite, then covering the paper with black pastel stick and rubbing it in. I REALLY like the process of rubbing pastel. Perhaps for me the rubbing creates a blurred effect which, IMO, is how we see the world. We see through filters and perceptions. Only when we look at things through a mirror, or by standing upside down do we see things as they are.

Since I'm new to this I had no idea that the pencil sketching was going to create that sort of effect. The only thing I wish was different was that the colors were brighter? Did my laying all the color over black cause that, even though the black was rubbed down?

DrDebby
07-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Nice flower sketch. I'm not familiar with pastels, so can't tell if the black base is what caused the colors to dull. It would make sense tho' because if a base of white is not laid down first when using black paper and colored pencils, the colors are dull.

Joan T
07-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I like that last flower. You've got a lot of texture there.

laura_ger
07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I like the lamps very much :-)