PDA

View Full Version : tide pool

callady
07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-19-2012/89888_2517_resize.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: tide pool
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Plastic
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I love/hate yupo! Sometimes it works and other times I wipe out quite often. I've been playing with this yupo for about 3 years off and on and find I need to walk away for a few months then have a go at it again. It's summer and I've recently come back from a few days at the beach. This is the first time I've submitted a work for critique other than with Johannes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think I'm more of a detailed person and kept wanting to "work" the rocks and water instead of letting the yupo do it's own thing.

TDCT
07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Hii

I had nooo idea what you were talking about when you mentioned this "yupo" thing, and was also confused about how this could be on plastic lol...seems they are one and the same confusion. Going to blame this ignorance on not being a watercolour painter (:.

This is really great though. I love the colours throughout and also understand being a detail person and not being able to let go...problem is, I never do :P. But you did a wonderful job with it! I definitely don't think it needs any more work.

Beautiful (:.

Andrewcody
07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Yupo is new to me too

Hard to critique as it seems a lot is left to chance

Must see if this is available here

Andrew

Debzy
07-20-2012, 03:28 AM
I do water colour but have never heard of it either! I am also very interested to find out more! I love the colours, how did you get that beautiful green/turquoise/blue? I need that colour for one I am doing! please tell? Nice work, hope to see more Yupo!!!! Cheers Debs. =))

callady
07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Thank you.

Debzy. I use a lot of prussian blue, thalo blue and indigo in my paintings, along with viridian. I think it was the viridian that kinda swirled over the prussian blue with some water.

The great thing about yupo is it does it's own thing but is hard to control if that's what you want but you can remove all the paint totally or in small sections, back to the white. I'll post a few more yupo paintings on this thread so you can see some of the things that happen.

I have a few DVDs from George James.....he's probably the most well known artist for yupo who does wonderful work. And also Kevin Davidson. Look them up on the internet.

tgsloth
07-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Lots to like in the painting but I think the weakness is perspective. The foreground needs to open up more. It gives a vertical sensation now.

Debzy
07-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the lovely blue, it is a stunning colour, I love it. I will attempt to achieve that colour myself, and will check out the yupo style on you tube. Cheers and thanks again Debs. =))