PDA

View Full Version : Derwentwater

arnieb
07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-19-2012/192075_mini-Derwentwater_-06.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Derwentwater
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Going for a very open scene, using a different canvas format with this one.
I normally do somewhat busy ‘postcards’ so this is quite a departure for me.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Arnie

tgsloth
07-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Great compostion and execution. I suppose a crit would be that more should be happening in this painting but with the minimalist approach you've taken, you've nailed it.

Debzy
07-20-2012, 03:40 AM
I think this is delightful Arnie, and the island looks much better! Also the slight change and softening of the right shoreline has finished it off nicely. From all directions I feel we are lead into the painting nicely. Great job, lovely subtle colours and peaceful scene. Cheers.=)) Debs

arnieb
07-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Thanks Bob and Debs - much appreciated.
Bob: I did consider putting a bird in as 2nd COI at bottom left intersection. I left the background dark there so a white/grey bird would stand out nicely (to cover my options) - but then that would be making it bussier so left it out. Arnie

crazywoman53
07-20-2012, 04:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with keeping simple compostion.. and this one is very nice. Peaceful and relaxing. The only teeny tiny nit pic I have is the green triangle shape on the right hand side. Though you have a couple trees there it isn't quite enough to stop that shape from reading as a triangle. I'd change that shape a little to avoid that but even with it I enjoy this muchly. :)

Sissal
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
I like the calm feel here. Crits: center rock-island is too one-tone, and the white patch in the water is large, and unforgiving. It takes me there, into a big, empty hole, and no place else. Would glazes of gold/peach sky colors reflected in that hole - and perhaps in the right mountain's peak - improve it, or not?

arnieb
07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks Christine and Sissal for you comments, and appology for not getting back sooner.
The Triangular island is something to note for future.
I've put it back on the easle to fix a problem/smudge in the sky thats anoying me and will try and add some more interest to the white whilst I'm at it. :wave:
Thanks Arnie