PDA

View Full Version : What should an 'art journal' look like?

thevaliantx
07-18-2012, 11:01 PM
I've looked back at the sketches I posted in here, and realized that probably none of them actually had any 'journalization' done to them. So, I'm wondering if I misunderstood what it means to create and maintain a journal.

Further compounding the issue for me is that I'm experimenting with pastels now and my 'categorical mind' doesn't want to lump them in with the pencil sketches. So, do I create a separate 'journal' in this particular forum? Or, do I leave the pastel drawings (having a hard time calling pastels 'painting' because a brush isn't used and there's no drying to take place) over in the pastel forum?

Studio-1-F
07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
It can look like and contain and encompass anything you want it to. For an idea of the range, look at this (www.amazon.com/000-Artist-Journal-Pages-Inspirations/dp/1592534120/).

Your art journal is all yours. If you want a separate one for each medium, you can do that. If you want to make it out of brown paper bags, you can do that. It need not write one single word in it. It's all up to you. By the way, what do you mean by the word "journalization"? Just wondering. :)

Jan

DrDebby
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
An art journal is a book with art marks in it. The journal part is not necessarily words, tho' it can be. It's more something you do regularly. The book can come in all shapes and forms as well. It can even be a binder where you put your sketches. Something that ties them together rather than a single sheet. The marks made can be abstract, recognizable art, mixed media, dedicated media, collage, all kinds of things. It's pretty much up to you.

I see all of you sketching and doing collages. Adding wonderful words or borders. Then I look at my "art journal" and find that it's full of notes and design ideas for clothing, stuffed animals, hats, embroidery designs, totes and bags. I guess, for me it's more of a design notebook than an "art" journal, since my "art" tends to be fiber. It's not that I don't draw/sketch. It's that I don't draw/sketch regularly. Where I do fill up my books with the fiber art designs. :o Hence, I don't post very often.

thevaliantx
07-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Seven thousand-plus posts is a lot, Dr. Debby. You're in denial. :D

I'm starting to think journaling ("journalization was probably an incorrect word I used earlier) is not what I'm after. I just don't have a way with words like some of you all do.

Heck, in the pastel forum I just got diagnosed with "symboloney" (whatever that means) tonight because, apparently, no one can decipher my pieces of art. You know, my wife asks me what I want to eat or if I'm hungry and my answer is usually "I don't know". ;)

vhere
07-21-2012, 08:22 AM
As one of those who was keen for this forum to be set up, I was a little disappointed when 'sketchbooks' was left out of its title as it was intended to include those as well.

I don't really do journals - though the work in my sketchbooks often is a visual journal of places and things. It is though a sketchbook.

And sketchbooks and journals should fit with whatever you want to achieve with them - I have a couple of architect friends who have the most incredibly neat journal/sketchbooks, with beautiful writing positioned with great thought in the layout. Other friends are like me, with messy pages, scribbled notes, quotes etc to self, a huge variety of media on the various pages and things stuck in. That's what I want from my books. A resource of information for now and the future.

RainySea
07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I think that "ART" is many things . . . in addition to the sketches, I also write fiction (and blog posts for me and for a company as well). I think of the journals I keep for both forms of expression as art journals since writing is an art as well.

Debby, your journals sound cool :)