PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps an idea for a monthly challenge sometime?

Tamcafe
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi Guys, I know I don't post on here much, but I was directed to this blog by a friend of mine and immediately thought about the idea here in one of the monthly challenges?
http://virtualpaintout.blogspot.com/

The idea is to "travel" via Google maps street view.

Only using images taken directly from the street view images on google maps can be used as reference photos, and no posted photos of the area. Use any medium.You can zoom in and focus on a small spot or do the entire panoramic image.

It gives the feeling of being there and forces you to look more at what you might just pass by when you're trying to get somewhere else, like to a landmark when sightseeing.

A challenger could, in theory, choose a specific location as the theme for the month and you would have to find a street view in that location for the challenge. It can be a city or state or country, such as Paris, France, or New York City, or Australia, wherever.

What do you think? Want to give it a try? :D

I promise I'll post too ::blush::

DrDebby
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Brilliant. How about next month? I've left off posting a monthly challenge because participation had waned. I know everyone is busy in the summer months in the northern hemisphere, so had not bothered to come up with something. Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

thevaliantx
07-18-2012, 11:06 PM
I fully realize this is a 'free' forum, so I hope this doesn't come off as a complaint. It seems that in this forum, or in the pencil / pastel forums there isn't consistency to the creation of "monthly challenges" or "monthly inspirational" threads. I think this tends to lend to inconsistency of participation by the members. It's a catch-22.

Also, going further into my thoughts on this, I often find myself thinking that someone should go through the above-mentioned threads and 'vote' (or something along those lines) on which drawings / paintings should go in a beginner, intermediate or advanced thread. This would then, IMO, create more of a desire for folks to create pieces.

I'm one of those believers in the theory that we are at our best, performance-wise, amongst those who are similar to us. I could be wrong! :evil:

bnguffey
07-20-2012, 10:13 AM
As the host of the blog mentioned above, I would like to invite everyone to participate at the Virtual Paintout. I've been doing this project for 42 months now and have great participation from artists from around the world.

DrDebby
07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
thevaliantx, I posted challenges for 3 months or more consistently, with no participation. Would you be willing to participate in a monthly challenge if it were posted again? As to the levels of artistic accomplishment, how does one decide? I've seen work by long time posters that I would classify as intermediate, but they would see as advanced worked based on the years of practice they've had. I've also seen work I'd classify as intermediate posted by someone who says they've just started doing art. Obviously, my judgement is flawed. :o So, voting or classifying is fraught with danger and hurt feelings. I like that the community here on WC is accepting of whatever level of expertise you have and allowing others to see, comment and critique. Those that want help, have only to ask and many people step up and offer advice.

Thanks Bill. Perhaps this had better be a plug for your blog rather than a monthly challenge. Wouldn't want to step on your toes, as it were.

vhere
07-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Personally, I don't really enjoy working from reference photos as I prefer to paint/sletch from life or imagination so if I'm busy then I don't take part in ref photo projects. Time at the moment is scarce :(

I prefer a more open subject that's linked but very much open to interpretation. The use of google maps fits with that as you choose your own viewpoint within an area - or the EDM type subjects.

Also, a month can limit participation sometimes

I've just done a thread that people can join in with if they fancy - take a look here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17821322#post17821322)

It's based on a thread in the photography forum. I thought it would work equally well with sketches - it can be old sketches that fit the theme the last person set. Take a look?

Tamcafe
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Bill! Yes the challenge should be to go to the site and do the location you have up! Your site is brilliant, by the way! I've found myself spending probably too much time in the streets of Thailand this past week or 2. :)