MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
too round?
how old would you put her?

maryinasia
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
no, not too round. 14.

silvenus
07-19-2012, 02:19 AM
It does not look real and lacks your normal mystique, I suggest she is 10/12 years and is an early stage of your present style. but then I should be very pleased if I could produce a painting this good, its an old effort which I would be pleased with but you have long surpassed

tgsloth
07-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Because the face is not realistic, I can't meaningfully attach an age to it but I can offer two ideas from continued playing. Work the eyes. The size of the irises is unnaturally large and this pushes the painting into a cartoony space. Would be interesting to see more normal eyes set a bit better into the face. And then you've got a sharp edge from ear to chin to ear. Soften that and I'm thinking you end up with a "LA" girl but more human/natural.

La_
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
ha, yeah, my 'normal mystique' has gone on a walkabout it seems, hope it comes back soon, i miss it!
eyes ... yes, that whole window to the soul thing ... will try settling them in more

thanks guys n gals

la

eyecandy2
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure of how to critique your paintings but I'll try. The face is what I would call an ovoid shape, not round. you ignore most of the facial planes. eyes are set in a deep fossa so you have to push them back a bit. You hint at the placement of the zygomatic process or the cheek bone if you will. Usually the area above the cheek bone is highlighed and then the eyes are set back into shadow. The pupils of the eyes here are too large to be real. There is almost a shadow under the lower lip and a fold coming down from the sides of the nose. The corners of the mouth usually have some folds and should be shaded a little darker. The hair is stringy and artificial. etc. etc. But of course you weren't interested in all of that. You weren't trying to be a portrait painter so you can just ignore my comments. Have fun La and I suspect that you do.

song_bird
07-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I like it just the way it is. It's a stylized face, so I don't analyze it. She's very pretty (and cute) and looks to be about 14. I like the colors, composition and style she's painted in.

Only crit I would say that I did not realize that was a scarf around her head.

La_
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
thanks phil, i appreciate your attempts at pulling me into reality and i do always take note of your thoughts ... fantasy, however, controls my brush because photography makes reality so easy to capture when i want it.

thanks song bird, for noting the scarf notion - you remind me i hadn't really fully decided on hair or headpiece and i probably should !

la

tlmarchi
07-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Pretty 14 year old girl! :)

greensyster
07-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Photography is not reality when it uses a flat lens! Wash your mouth out naughty girl! :D. Yes the eyes are flat missing the orbigginess (I have patented that word so don't you go trying to use it). The neck is flat and she appears to be wearing a head scarf. Her mouth is exquisite and your colors and tones throughout are beautiful. Rework a 2006 painting? Was that to siren call your missing Muse? She will return - as soon as you stop looking.