PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a 12 vdc LED light using 10 vdc?

Kirsten Marro
07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Can I run a 12 vdc LED light using 10 vdc?
I have a led lamp (Voltage Amp: 12V - .033 AMP) that I want to hook up to a systems that will put off 10V DC. Will this work? What problems will i run into?

opainter
08-23-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't believe that you would have any problems doing so. The intensity of light from the LED might be a little bit less than it would be at the higher voltage, but I doubt it would be noticeable.

P.S. I don't understand what that has to do with this forum! :confused:

Mike L
07-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Only until you burn up the power supply. LED's operate within a very narrow and specific voltage range, so that as you decrease the voltage being supplied the amount of current increases through both power supply and LED electronic components. This will destroy your power supply, your LED light and could start a fire in your house.

ArtL
08-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Only until you burn up the power supply. LED's operate within a very narrow and specific voltage range, so that as you decrease the voltage being supplied the amount of current increases through both power supply and LED electronic components. This will destroy your power supply, your LED light and could start a fire in your house.
Actually, in this case, according to Ohm's Law, the opposite is true. LED's are current limited by resistors to a certain maximum voltage they are designed for. Lower the voltage and you will lower the current. Increasing the voltage will increase the current.

Ohm's Law
V=I*R V=Voltage, I=Current, R=Resistance
or
R=V/I in this case R= 12/.033 -- R=364 ohms. Using this figure lower the voltage and see what happens.

I=V/R I=10/364 -- I=.027 amps of current.

The end result will be lower light output from the LED.