GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Palm tree in Paradise
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was a fathers day gift for my dad and was made in oil.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just any thing you see that could improve it. It is only my third oil painting so still getting used to it compared to acrylics so any advice on oil painting in general as well.

Debzy
07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi, I am guessing you painted this from your imagination. There are several things that you could change to improve this. Firstly, I do like your choice of colours, but there doesn't appear to be a real focal point. The shadow and trunk suggests a palm tree, but I feel you need the top of the tree too. I Also think you need to work on clouds, you have made a good start here, but for most people wishing to be serious about art, it is necessary to study different subjects independently for example trees, sky, colours, shapes, symmetry, dimensions, depth, proportions, tone, light, dark, etc etc. If I were you, I would definitely look at lots and lots of photos, look at shapes of trees, shapes of headlands, how they throw shadow, how the sun / light hits different areas, and practice practice practice using different colours and brushes, thick and thin paint, change tones just to see what effect you get, and look at other artists works on WetCanvas, You tube, There are countless magazines available from newsagents and art stores with step by step guides as to how to achieve a certain effect. Do drawings studying shapes, shadows, light, negative shapes, look up ways to achieve depth and proportion, and look beyond just what you think is there!!!! There is so much more than what we first see. I hope I haven't confused you but I can see you would like to improve and you have a good start. Cheers and good luck Debs. =)) P.S. I bet your dad was thrilled with this for Fathers day!!!

Breetheartist
07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you Debs, I actually based it off of a reference photo http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Webkatalog-Landscapes-Screensaver-Screenshot-61971.html
I did not include the other two palm trees sadly because of time, it got to fathers day and I decided instead of to rush the other two palm trees in just to keep it the way it was. I appreciate all of the advice it is very helpful and informative. :)

Debzy
07-18-2012, 11:14 AM
It's a pity you ran out of time Bree, but never mind, as I said you have made a great start especially with your colour choices. I haven't worked with oils since I was a teenager, so I may well run into problems myself when I attempt to use them. I am having trouble with acrylics at present as I have become predominantly a watercolour painter. May I suggest on your next work that you post it in stages into the WIP forum, that way you will get advice and suggestions along the way and can try different things to get the desired result. I have learnt many valuable lessons there and always post there first as I work through pieces. It is priceless advice truly, and very encouraging. I like your enthusiasm and look forward to seeing more of your work. If yu are passionate about it, then it is worth your efforts and you will be rewarded! Cheers Debs. =))

Andrewcody
07-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Bree, congratulations on taking the challenge, making a start, following your heart and completing your painting.

I agree with Deb, next painting send us some posts while you are in the creative process and let others offer some advice :)

Thank you

Andrew

Breetheartist
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks Andrew. :)

Jonny_L
07-21-2012, 05:05 AM
If I'd have had this from my teenage son I would have been blown away! It's a really good painting and you've obviously paid excellent attention to the colours and shapes you've recreated here.

Terrific!

Breetheartist
07-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you Jonny I appreciate that a lot.

ninima
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I like the post. The post is very Useful. Thank you, this advice will come in handy.

reverseengineering
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Could you upload a photo with the complete work in view? But of course, the thought is the most important part and for that reason alone, I like it. :cat: