PDA

View Full Version : New painting - 94th PS Nieuports

Russell Smith
07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Here's a quick little commission that I just finished up.

94th Pursuit Squadron pilots Willard Hill and James Meissner on patrol over Toul, France, 27 May 1918.

Into the Ring
19" X 13"
oil on linen

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/aeroart/ITR.jpg

Chas McHugh
07-18-2012, 01:52 AM
That ticks all the boxes as usual Russell. Beautifully rendered, totally believable scenario, and even the wife would allow it on her wall. Difficult to offer any criticism as you have mastered WWI aviation art but if pushed I would say this:

I did a WWI battlefield tour a few years ago and got the impression that Northern France was effectively laid to waste and green patchwork fields replaced by pothole covered swaithes of mud. (Especially where the 'lines' where dynamic and thus changing daily if not hourly) Obviously by nature of the purpose of the tour my focal points where specific battlefields, and it may be that these were surrounded by 'normal life' but that is the question I ask myself as I admire your work.

shadwell
07-18-2012, 02:57 AM
there must have been the majority of the country that was green chas we have to remember that it was such a large scale that they streatched to belgium most of the damage would be limited to the narrow bands where the trenches were i'd guess a big scale if around the trenches but small compared to surrounding land also airfields must have been quite a way away from the treanches for obvious reasons i'd say a lot of the countryside was quite normal away from the madness !

Chas McHugh
07-18-2012, 03:22 AM
You are right to a point, but I got the impression that the line moved to and fro as battles were won and lost and therefore the real estate in which battle scarring was evident was actually widespread. If anything new trench lines would have exagerated this even more for I doubt they had the time or inclanation to landscape yesterdays battlefield.

Mother Nature does regain control reasonably quickly but didnt have much of a chance prior to 1918. I flew out of Cambrai (Fr) (low level-Puma helicopter) for a weeks detachment in 2003 and to this day crops and grass differ in colour along the lines of where once human stupidity reigned supreme.
http://www.downthelane.net/img/polygon-wood/dog-fight-zonnebeke.jpg

Barely a blade of grass in this picture of Polygon Wood, Ypres.

NeilF92
07-18-2012, 05:28 AM
First class work as ever Russell . I like the story told by the angles of the two pairs , just turning in for the fight .
The aerial perspective works well and creates a great sense of depth / reality.

Russell Smith
07-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks so much guys.
Chas, you may be right, but in this case the customer very specifically requested a nice little French countryside with an idyllic village below.

Chas McHugh
07-18-2012, 07:05 AM
....and the customer is always right. However the painting created discussion which in itself is complimentary for too many paintings in this world fall into the bracket of mundane or repetitive. That the discussion centred on detail rather then artistic merit is again indicative of quality artwork. I love the way the straight lines on the fuselage cross the colour boundaries without a hint of distortion.

halthepainter
07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Russell, fantastic work. Very enjoyable.

vegaskip
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Nice painting , another for us dabblers to aspire to.Thanks for posting
Jim

Gray539
07-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Your WWI paintings are always of the highest Quality, Russ. You haven't let us down with this one.