PDA

View Full Version : Mothers day flowers

Debzy
07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
This is an acrylic I started tonight, I'm not too good at acrylics, and I'm not too good at flowers. Any advice would be appreciated, I know there is much work to be done, it is not easy to be free with acrylics, I am having much trouble. Cheers Debs. =))

Trumper
07-18-2012, 04:37 AM
:) Blimey you are a one person painting machine :) .I find acrylics hard as they dry so quickly even with extenders and watered down.
My first comment is how little shadow/dark areas there are,all very constant.:)

Debzy
07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks trumper, I will add more shadows and change tones thank you for that. I am going to continue with this as I have only done one other flowers study before, very early on last year when I started water colours. I am still struggling with the same problem, not enough darks. This is something I see I need to address in a lot of my paintings. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention once again, and will use this flower study to practice exactly that!!! Cheers and thanks for the support. Debs. =))

Andrewcody
07-28-2012, 04:48 AM
I can identify most of the flowers so that is a plus
How long did this take you Deb?

Andrew

Debzy
07-28-2012, 10:12 AM
This was about two hours Andrew, I didn't do any pencil sketching, just paint straight on the paper and hope for the best. I will be adding more to this one because I think the colours are cheerful and would like to finish it!Glad you can identify some of them. Thanks Andrew Cheers! =)) Debs

crafor
07-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm new at all of this too, working to learn and remember, and use appropriately. Please bear in mind that what I'm saying here are things I need to learn and apply, too.
First, I really like your vase of flowers. It makes me want to go get some for my table. So, you're successful in that.
Next, I don't see a definate light source.
Deciding where the light is coming from is critical.
If your light is strong, the shadows will be more intense and darker value than shade.
They will also have harder edges. The closer the shadow is to the light source and the object, the shadows will be harder edged and warmer.
The opposite is true--the farther away, shadows edges become softer.
Don't forget color in/of shadows the light itself, as well as what the shadow is resting on.

There's more, but I struggle with these!
I hope this helps you.
Ella

Debzy
07-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks Ella, I appreciate and agree with all you have said. Thank you for taking the trouble to explain in detail, I will apply those ideas and suggestions. Will be doing some more work on this today I hope. Cheers and thanks again =)) Debs.

Arthur Oster
08-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I like your work very much. The only comment I have, is that each of your flowers is a very "individual" one. There is very little connection between them. May be you should let colors return in adjacent flowers. That will cause the painting to get more unity, I believe.

TOMYOO
08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Debs, flowers is not my subject, I have painted them once, and they are quite a challenge, from what I can see from this painting you need more shadows, but jolly well done acrylics are a bit hard to get used to and you have done well. Tony.

arnieb
08-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Think you need extra flower bottom left to make it balance - but then I'm no flower arranger. Never the less an excelent start. :thumbsup:
I used to use acrylics at school but found they had all dried out when I can to use them whereas my oils were still OK - so i've stuck with them. I prefere to have 2 or 3 pictures on the go at the same time - as it gives something else to work on whilst they are drying - and the breaks allow time for the work to 'mature' and for fresh perspective.
But its better to work the way that best for ourselves.:cool: Arnie

Debzy
08-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Thank you Arthur, Tomy and Arnie! I will be doing more work on this soon to add detail and tonal values. I appreciate all the advice and encouragement, it is very well accepted! Question? Is it ok to add oils over the top of acrylics, or would this not work? Cheers =)) Debs

Wahsuzy
08-27-2012, 08:15 AM
From everything I've read oil over acrylics works but not the opposite. Looks great can't wait to see next installment:)

Debzy
08-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Thank you very much Suzy, I was thinking I may have more luck with oils so that I can play around with the shapes and values more without them drying out. I appreciate your help, I will give it a go! Cheers and thanks again =)) Debs.

Debzy
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I am still working in Acrylics, and I am at the throw out stage!:confused: I just cant seem to get anything right in this painting and am considering scrapping it and starting again. I cant seem to get the daffodils right, the highlights etc. I am only at stage two, but it is taking so long.:rolleyes: Any ideas and critiques are welcome, but I also don't mind if you suggest I start again! Sometimes the experience is more important :D cheers Debs. :wave:

Wahsuzy
08-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Don't give up!! I think it's
Looking really good. Only one that I can see
Needs something is main daffodil. I would maybe put some brighter yellows
Against your shadows and possibly put some red and orange in your shadows. That's just IMO. I am nowhere near qualified to give a valid critique. I'm having a hell of a time with cast and transparent shadows on my hibiscus. I'm at the same place you are. Ready to throw it away. Lol!!!

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Think you need extra flower bottom left to make it balance - but then I'm no flower arranger. Never the less an excelent start. :thumbsup:
I used to use acrylics at school but found they had all dried out when I can to use them whereas my oils were still OK - so i've stuck with them. I prefere to have 2 or 3 pictures on the go at the same time - as it gives something else to work on whilst they are drying - and the breaks allow time for the work to 'mature' and for fresh perspective.
But its better to work the way that best for ourselves.:cool: Arnie

This reminds me of something. In doing my tomatoes drawing in colored pencil, I've been noticing that at some point I have trouble getting the paper to take more color, so I take a break. I'll come back to it a day or so later, and for some strange reason the paper can take more color. Is this my imagination? Is the CP really 'drying' or something? Could it just be my eyes, THINKING that the paper is maxed out with color and that just after a break I'm all of a sudden seeing white spots on the paper again? Could it just be an issue of fresh perspective for me?

Debs, do you have a photo of the flowers you're drawing? Can you take one of the setting? I think that would help us guide you more. No doubt there are shadows all over the place with those flowers, but I can't for the life of me figure out where your light source is coming from? It's like you pulled up a chair to your refrigerator, opened the door, propped the drawing board up on your knee, and started drawing the fresh flowers stored in there.

Beautiful colors, by the way!!! (I'm not surprised) Your painting makes me want to try acrylics, but I'm still waiting for those scratch tickets to pile up in the envelope before I open them in a year (probably a better return rate than the local savings banks) so I can go hog wild on buying art stuff. Right now I'm too chicken to even play with the pastels I have. (can't seem to get out of CP mode and end up trying to do little detailed drawings with pastel).

thevaliantx
08-28-2012, 01:05 PM
How about adding some little antennaes to those flowers? The correct term is stigmas, right? Then, on either the red flower or the yellow one, work on each petal. The petals should overlap somewhat. Each overlap will create a cast shadow. There should be many little ripples in each petal, maybe even some veins (are they what cause the ripples?) extending out from the center of the flower.

Debzy
08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Thank you Suzy And TheV, I really appreciate your comments and advice. I really got to a point where I thought I had lost it on this one, but I will keep going a bit longer and see if I can resurrect it! :crossfingers: Being acrylics, I guess I can add more paint, as it dries fast. I will try to mix some brighter yellows for the daffs, I think they are too dull. :( I love your Hibiscus Suzy, it is amazing! Your colours look really accurate to me! :thumbsup: TheV, I will post the reference photo, it is one my mum took when she got these flowers from me, a few years ago now. It is blurry, but it's all I have to work from.:confused: Thank you both for your kind encouragement, I will persevere a little longer. :D Cheers =)) Debs.

Wahsuzy
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Thank you so much deb!!! That really means alot! I think you are an amazing artist and I know you can finish this one. Your colors are wonderful!!!!