PDA

View Full Version : Andes in South America ... very quick Acrylic...

Debzy
07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-17-2012/978806_Andes_in_South_America_better_crop.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Andes in South America ... very quick Acrylic...
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is just a quick acrylic I did tonight, ref photo was not clear.. Just trying unusual colour combinations.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any critique welcome, took 2 hours, used a paintbrush this time. Cheers Debs.

tony1
07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I like it. I'd like a bit more "separation" between mountain and sky. But the colors are great, and really great movement. I find when I do things "fast" I have more movement, and as I "muck" with them I lose that feel.

Really like this.

Debzy
07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Thank you Tony, I agree and I can fix that in a flash !!! I do really enjoy doing quick works for speed practice and freedom of detail, sometimes they end up crappy, but occasionally you surprise yourself! I particularly liked the different colour scheme in this one, I chose 6 colours to match as closely as possible and am relatively pleased with the result! The ref photo was quite blurred unfortunately, but I went with shapes, colours and strokes. I also enjoy using very thick paint, a total contrast from my water colour works. Cheers Tony, will post the final when finished tonight. =))

maryinasia
07-17-2012, 09:18 PM
love this!

Wahsuzy
07-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Holy crap!!!! That's great!!!! I wish I could do that. I'm struggling with a shrimp right now. Tried glazes and it's not working out so well! It need to look "wet and shiny". I have nooooo clue... I have repainted it so much it's slick! Lol!!! Can't imagine pulling this off that quickly. GREAT PIECE!!!

koksie
07-18-2012, 05:25 AM
Very quick? Nevertheless I like it very much!
bye Brigitte

Debzy
07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks so much Mary, Suzy and Brigitte! It is a change for me to do something like this, and was good for me. I enjoyed the colours and will just add a bit more definition to separate the mountain tops and sky and it will be finished enough for me. I didn't want to labour on it, I need fast practise and over time want to compare if I improve or not! Thanks for your encouragement, much appreciated. Cheers debs. =))

TDCT
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Omg, the colours are magnificent! If it were me I would need to detail it to death but there's still enough definition in this piece that I don't think it needs anything else - also it is very little so it would probably be a pain to put too much detail in :P. The colours! Colour is my favourite thing (:, I love them in this.

Debzy
07-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks TDCT ! Yes, I had to hold myself back from detail because I am trying a different approach for a change, and also the ref photo shows very little detail as it is very blurred. I loved the colours too and that was one of the aims in this exercise. To get good colour likeness and a visual scene that worked and had some impact with speed but little fine detail. Just using brushstrokes and suggestion. Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. Cheers Debs. =))

crazywoman53
07-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Another nice quickie Deb! The problem with the sky land separation is the values of your whites. Usually the sky is the lightest value but if you have snow on your mountains then the lightest value in the sky is darker than the snow value. Hope this helps.:)

Debzy
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes thank you Christine, that does help a lot. I understand what you mean and it makes sense! I can easily experiment with that, it would be a quick change, and not interfere with the speed practice I am working on. Thanks heaps! valuable advice. =)) Cheers Debs.

Andrewcody
07-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Excellent, I like this a lot

I am interested to see how you achieve separation between the 'Mountains and the Sky' ... and what you fill that space with.

Andrew

Debzy
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks Andrew, there was no time today to do it, but tomorrow I may tackle it! I'm glad you like it, I had fun doing this for a change. I may try a bigger fast painting soon, maybe... and then... maybe a portrait sometime in the near future. Maybe..... =)) Cheers Debs.

arnieb
07-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Wow -Lots of movement and feeling. Excellent for 2hours! Arnie

Debzy
07-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks Arnie! I haven't fixed it up yet because I have been trying to finish my bridge watercolour for the buyer. I will get to it over the next few days, I think I can improve it some! Your input is much appreciated as always! Cheers =)) Debs.

Sissal
07-23-2012, 12:34 AM
I struggle to get "loose" ( perhaps we all do?) and this is such a successful exercise. Congratulations!

I can imagine a few glazes - yes, oil paint! - over top to really set the mountains apart from the sky.

I hope to get this "quick" soon!

Debzy
07-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Sissal, I still haven't got back to this one as I have worked pretty much 9 days straight (afternoon / night shifts included) and will be for another 4 (I have 2 jobs)and only an occasional few hours off in the mornings when I need to do the usual housekeeping, pets, teenager and sleep somewhere in there too! Then hopefully, I will finish this one off as it is probably a fairly quick fix. I appreciate your input and encouragement, I did really enjoy this and will do many more when time permits. I will separate the mountains from the sky with more sky I think, I will have another look at the reference photo and attempt to get as close as I can to what I can see. I can't wait to fix it, but need some time when I am not in a rush to get somewhere! Should be done in the next few days, I will post the update as soon as it is! CHeers and happy painting Debs. =))

greensyster
07-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Love seeing you play with colour! Point of concern for me is your values. You have the same degree of darkness up in those mountains as you do in the foreground foothills and by doing so your perspective is lost. Methinks. :D

TDCT
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks Sissal, I still haven't got back to this one as I have worked pretty much 9 days straight (afternoon / night shifts included) and will be for another 4 (I have 2 jobs) and only an occasional few hours off in the mornings when I need to do the usual housekeeping, pets, teenager and sleep somewhere in there too!

Umm...you have so many paintings up here getting done at a ridiculously quick rate I was starting to be sure you didn't work lol. I'm even more impressed now! It takes me a thousand years to finish anything :S.

reverseengineering
07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Pretty good job seeing that you stated it was a quick job. But I agree with others about the separation between the mountains and the sky. overall I liked it though.

Debzy
07-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks Marie, TD and RE! I see what you mean Marie with the dark values, I am going to look at the ref photo again and try and vary them more. Thank you, and at the same time add more sky to separate the mountain tops from the clouds. Tomorrow afternoon looks like a possible free time for a couple of hours and I am keen to finish this. Will definitely post the update ASAP. Cheers and much appreciate your advice guys. =)) Debs.

Debzy
08-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, I have been trying to round up all my unfinished works and came across this one. I have tried to separate the mountain tops from the sky. Added a few other changes but it was meant to be just a quick acrylic for practice purposes so I don't want to lose the spontaneity. I have posted the reference photo as well.=)) Cheers Debs.