PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Pochade...

nvcricket
07-17-2012, 05:17 AM
There is this car show called Pimp My Ride. They take a normal beat up car and fix it up.

Well I have done this with a pochade box I recently purchased on the cheap. I want to be able to use it with the Easel Butler, but needed to devise a way for the box to open and remain flat. Along the way I added other things to better this common place pochade

This is the pochade I bought... http://store.artsupplysource.com/42987.html

The things I did to enhance it's usefulness, or "How I pimped my pochad..."

1. I removed the foam that came with it and replaced it with 1/4" Memory foam on bottom and another layer to cover the pastels.

2. I removed the velcro strip that they used to secure the tops. It was only glued on, and pulled off when I opened it.

3. Since I removed the velcro,I needed something to hold the lid covering the pastels. I used these "things" (name unknown) that are used for holding the backs of pictures on a frame. (tension clips???).

4. The clips wouldn't let the box close, so I used a dremmel to carve rounded holes in the edges on the opposite sides of the clips, so the box would close flush.

5. When I'm outdoors doing plein air, my stuff gets beat up. I wanted to protect the corners of the box, so I screwed on brass corners I purchased a a hardware store.

6. I added an extra heavy duty clasp to ensure the box won't pop open when closed.

7. I used mirror hangers on the sides, and found a metal rod that sets in snugly to hold the box flat once opened. The rings have a large opening, however the rods snap into the small space at the base of the rings.(the metal rods I'm using are from a two drawer filing cabinet. It's a part of the file holder).
This is not a perfect solution. I had considered boring a hole in the
middle through both sides and putting a carriage bolt through - but it would mean disturbing the pastels, and maybe the integrity of the box.

If anyone has any better solutions (especially in keeping the box flat) Please chime in. My husband had suggested velcro, but I didn't think it would hold the heavy box flat.

So here are pictures of my Heilman wanna be...

CArol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/93276-box2.jpg

The Picture above shows the brass corners, and the extra clasp(brass)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/93276-boxsupport1rs.jpg

The picture above shows the mirror hangers on the side, and the two different types of clips I used to hold the lids over the pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/93276-box4.jpg

The picture above shows one of the types of tension clips I used. I want to point out the hole dremmelled on the box on the opposite side, so the box would close flush. Those screw heads wouldn't let the box close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/93276-wherebarsarekept.jpg

The picture above show you where I store the rods. I put my hard pastels next to the edges of the box, as they can absorb any "shock" better than the softies. I left the bottom part of the velcro on the box. The pastels are sitting on a 1/4 inch of memory foam, and when I close the box, I place another 1/4" memory form on top, then secure the lit. It's a snug fit. I've already dropped this box, and as you can see, no damage to my pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/93276-barinloopscloseup.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/editor/insertimage.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=17755152#)The picture above shows the rods through the rings. I was incredibly lucky, as the rods snap into that little space they run along in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/93276-pochade.jpg

This is the full view, The last thing I need to do is put the mirror hangers on this side too. The things at the top, are rejected bars. The box would still droop into a vee when they were placed in the rings.

barriespapa
07-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Bravo to you Carol I think you should get the Ms fixit award for the month. And thank you kindly for sharing with us.
David

nvcricket
07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks Barrie for the compliment....

I forgot to mention my future plans for pimping my pochade as I acquire the funds from future sales of my art work.
So when future technology is developed and available for testing before being produced for the mass market I plan on:

1. Purchasing a miniature feather-lite IPAD to recess into the lid so I can to do my thumbnails and work out my compositions.

2. Install a souped up micro-lite DOLBY infinity stereo sound system with 650 MGH speakers to listen to either nature sounds or my Bach/Beetovan, concertos.

3. Attach a LED light system with three expandable lights that will throw off 1000 lumins of daylight each, so I can complete my plein air pieces on site in the evenings.

4. Attach a retractable parachute mini/maxi shade made from supra-lite spiderized fabric rated SPF 90, and ultra-lite/ultra thin extendable rods. My cancer Dr warns me to stay out of the direct sun to avoid development of basal cell skin cancer, especially during the days when the National Meteorological Warning Center puts out advisements to stay indoors on days predicted to have intense solar flare activity.

5. I also can't do without my own personalized Solarized landrover cart to carry my set up. It will come installed with a climate control heating/coolant microsystem, and with complimentary Sherpa/body guard for my treks into the mountains, to protect me from the cougars.

6, As I age or become infirm, I will upgrade this model to the one that comes with the solarized/wind powered heli version, to fly me up the mountain to get to those the sweet views that need to be immortalized in pastel for future generations to enjoy!

Oh....

I almost forgot,

A pair of NEON green Fuzzy Dice for an accessory.

:D :wink2:

Carol

allydoodle
07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Kewl, very kewl :cool: !

I want that, maybe I need to "think outside the box" (ha ha! :lol:) and do something similar, if for nothing else than the fun of making it! It looks wonderful!

funkie
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow...a lady that can engiineer whatever she wants....after my own heart to be sure. :clap:

Now I think the bars are rings are ingenious but I have checked out the easel butler video and wonder why you didn't just use the white boards from your pochace box as a shelf to keep the box from falling through? Too small?

I have added all of your future wants to my wish list also. LOL

Mags

adventureartist
08-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Great job Carol....your future plans made me laugh:lol: , fantastic ideas! I would add an anti bug device...lately half of my painting time plein air is spent fighting off the flies and midges!

rugman
08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Great job, I like it. I would add... ice chest... for sandwiches, ice tea, or "adult beverage"

Lovedogs
08-20-2012, 07:09 AM
HI Carol, I am glad I read your post as I had just posted that I was looking for a set of drawers that was carryable to art class for my pastels. I think what you have done is great. This would be good for me to do too, love your future pimping ideas too!

karenlee
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Wow-- you are beyond resourceful--a genuinely gifted cabinetmaker. Fantastic work!

nvcricket
08-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Update...
I have now traveled with this set up on a plane with the box as my carryon luggage. I taped a piece of paper on each side of the box "PROFESSIONAL ARTIST PASTELS." No problems getting through security. The brass corners are no longer pristine, they are all scratched and dinged up, so this was a good thing to do for extra protection on the corners. I carry a wide variety of soft pastels and not one single crunch. The bars nest comfortably where I have them along the same edge as the handle. There is a slight settling of the pastels that occurs when carrying them that leaves this space open. The pastels nest happily sandwiched in the memory foam. The box was dropped once :eek: - no damage.

Karenlee..... You make me laugh, and laugh... :lol: :lol:
I am not a carpenter. I bought the box for a song. When I go to Home Depot with my husband, I always wander off looking at stuff I can use, or adapt for my art. That's where the brass corners came in. I got blisters in the center of my palms screwing those screws, it was THEN that DH told me to hammer a hole with nail to start the screw, and to use a bit of spit or oil on the screw to get them in easy. spit no way... Oil??? I used butter lllllooollll. worked great! I picked up the dremmel tool at Harbor Freight a while ago at one of their sales, and it came in very handy carving those niches out.

Lovedogs - This would be perfect for your art class. The secret is the memory foam. I used the memory foam from a MEMORY FOAM PILLOW we bought and couldn't stand. If you do a search on the web, you can find a place to special order it. Get 1/4 inch thick. (don't get high density)

Rugman - ICECHEST??? not this girl. When I get to that point, my meals will be catered affairs.

Funkie Mags - You raise a great point. In this instance it was the cart before the horse. I had the box before I got "MAX". In the Easel Butler video, the model picks up this humongous box of pastels from the ground, then places it in the butlers loving arms. I had thought of using the white boards, but what if the board slips an inch or so? The boards would probably work without a problem. But I didn't want a simple solution.... :)

Dru - OH MY GOSH... I didn't think about the little critters - BUGS. Mosquitos the bane of my life. I hate those buggers. They are just like Plein Air painters, they prefer to be active at sun up and sun down. Well, I've come up with a quasi solution. I'll just have to make all my Plein Air excursions Plein Air parties and invite all my artist friends. Of course I'll have to fly everyone in for the occasion on my private Lear Jets. My thought here is... the more people I bring along, the less interested the mosquitos and other bugs will be in me. As I'll be footing the bill and bringing those blood suckers a smorgasboard, they dare not bite the hand that feeds them.

AlleyDoodle (Chris) - you will get the first PAP (plein air party) invitation, so bring plenty of bug spray.

:cool:
Carol

nvcricket
09-27-2017, 02:18 AM
I'm bumping this up because it was posted in 2012 and I still love this box in 2017. I have taken it on many plane trips and have used it on numerous plein air outings. I have since retired, and alas, all the future plans are still on hold... I am pimping it up a bit more, my neighbor is going to burn my name and PROFESSIONAL ARTIST PASTELS on the outside to customize it a bit more. I just love this box. Here is a more current url for the box. Here is a more current url for the box I bought on the cheap... http://artsupplysource.com/martin-museum-wooden-artist-pastel-carrying-case/

rugman
09-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Must be good if it still works! Glad to hear. May have to make something like this my next "project". Although I need another project like I need a hole in my head...lol