PDA

View Full Version : WIP's - Sunset and Moonset

thatguycraig
07-17-2012, 03:37 AM
Did these last night. They still need work, especially the moon on the moonset piece.... quite happy with the boat scene tho....

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Craigmoly/471265_10150950026068517_245938028_o.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Craigmoly/399560_10150950026588517_131833406_n.jpg

Debzy
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi Craig, I like your sunset, but it needs more work in my opinion. Are they from imagination or from reference photos? The sunset has a line of trees that are too evenly spaced, and there is little variation in the horizon line. I think the light on the water is well done, but the light in the sky needs to be at least as bright. The moonscape is much too organised also ( I suspect also from imagination), and I do think you need to introduce more colours into both of them. Your water line at the horizon on the moonset needs to be straighter and the tree needs quite a bit of work. I like your ideas and the fact that you have posted them here tells me that you would like to get feedback and improve. Get a good reference photo and look with blurred eyes first to get line and shape correct. Draw the scene basically and make sure thing are where you want them. make sure you have a centre of interest and mix colours to vary shade intensity, and practice with light and dark tones. I recently did a colour sheet for myself of all the colours I have and lots of possible combinations with other colours to see what I got! It was a great exercise and I have kept it so that I can refer to it when I have a photo I want to paint. I can get a pretty good idea of what colours I need by holding the colour chart next to the photo. Then, by mixing other colours I can achieve dark and light shades of that colour. Block in your basic colour areas first. Then, look closer at the photo to get the details of highlights, shadows and then the finer details last and you will be surprised with the result I think. Good luck and keep painting and posting, Cheers and keep smiling Debs. =))

thatguycraig
07-18-2012, 10:34 AM
the sunset is from a reference photo - i'll try dig it out and show you, but the trees are very organised.... i presume its some sort of road or lane behind the foreground trees?? artistic interpretation says that i can change that of course.

the moonset painting started as a different painting. i started to play with it, and sorta ruined the sunset so i just painted over and started again.... this resulted in very thick and wet paint - so i had to leave it alone after a while. i was just playing with the tree... and may add some foliage to it instead of a bare tree. i agree that it needs work, as does the moon, and water..... but i do like the colours of both paintings. maybe that my unexperienced eye - but they arnt ment to be photo realistic. i do try to grasp an abstract feel to my works

thatguycraig
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
this is the sunset reference photo. i did hav one from a higher angle too so that you can see the trees higher... but cant locate it. but i agree, im going to alter the trees and make them less symmetrical... i didnt really notice it as much until now

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41111000/jpg/_41111442_01_egypt_borthwick.jpg

Debzy
07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
I can appreciate that Craig, and I hope I didn't offend you. I like the colours of your paintings too, but just suggesting ways that could improve them more. They do look like night-scape and sunset, but in my opinion they could be improved. I do like the shapes of the boats! Cheers Debs. =))

thatguycraig
07-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I can appreciate that Craig, and I hope I didn't offend you. I like the colours of your paintings too, but just suggesting ways that could improve them more. They do look like night-scape and sunset, but in my opinion they could be improved. I do like the shapes of the boats! Cheers Debs. =))

oh no not at all!! thas why im here! im new to the game and have only been painting for about a month now. I posted my very first paintin on here! (venice scene) so im by no means a seasoned artist yet!

Debzy
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm not a seasoned artist either Craig, not an expert by a long shot. I know that people post on here to get feedback and sometimes it can be like waiting for christmas because we all have different time zones etc, and are working, or it's weekend or whatever. If someone gets chance to post a response, it often opens up for others to follow when they get chance. I like to help and encourage new artists because I consider myself still to be one too and it gives us a starting point to work from. Glad you weren't offended. Keep painting and posting Craig! Cheers again Debs. =)) P.S. I agree with what you said about artistic license, sometimes a reference photo can look stunning, but doesn't always make the best painting subject. I had that recently with a sunset I completed, but was never really happy with it (and still am not!) It was a magnficent photo, but a cow to get anything like it in the painting. Neded artistic license or sure I think! =))

thatguycraig
07-19-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm not a seasoned artist either Craig, not an expert by a long shot. I know that people post on here to get feedback and sometimes it can be like waiting for christmas because we all have different time zones etc, and are working, or it's weekend or whatever. If someone gets chance to post a response, it often opens up for others to follow when they get chance. I like to help and encourage new artists because I consider myself still to be one too and it gives us a starting point to work from. Glad you weren't offended. Keep painting and posting Craig! Cheers again Debs. =)) P.S. I agree with what you said about artistic license, sometimes a reference photo can look stunning, but doesn't always make the best painting subject. I had that recently with a sunset I completed, but was never really happy with it (and still am not!) It was a magnficent photo, but a cow to get anything like it in the painting. Neded artistic license or sure I think! =))

thats the best thing about being an artist i guess. like bob ross said, you create your own world, and put anything in you want!!

think my sunset painting is now sold... or near enough, and the moonset painting has been improved last night - a lot of white hightlights - so going to drop in some light blues and it should look a lot better

Debzy
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Congratulations on the sale! It is always encouraging to sell a painting, gives you the incentive to do more =)) Good luck with the Moon painting Craig!!! Cheers Debs. =))