GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Our Dog Mercy
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11X14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
It's been awhile since I've posted, but my wife wanted a painting of our dog, so here it is.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Now that I'm looking at it here, the left eye might be a little cattywampus. That and anything else I'm not seeing.
Thanks....

tgsloth
07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Agree about the eye. But this is really cool. It's painted with conficence and brio. The False colors work too. Here are a few nits:
Since you use light blue highlights on top of his head, add some to the top of his ears.
Darken just a bit of the rear top of his head as it meets the bg to give a sense of rounding and moving away from the light.
The pink swaths in his ears need darkening and a hit of detail because the insides of dogs' ears include shadowing and are obscured by fur. It's a bit cartoony how you have it now.
It's somewhat a matter of personal taste but I never like the vignetting of a portrait (four legged or two legged). It would be so easy for you to continue with his body to the bottom of the picture plane.
BUT IT'S TWO PAWS UP FOR ME

Dana Design
07-17-2012, 10:08 AM
WEll, I'm going for 4 paws up! That pup's a beauty!

Debzy
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I see what Bob means with the ears, but it didn't distract me, it is a fabulous portrait of your Mercy, I bet your wife was thrilled! Lovely work! Gorgeous dog. =)) Cheers Debs.

D.W. Flint
07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
TG, Dana and Deb, Thanks for your response. Now I have some more things to consider. Thanks again...

crafor
07-21-2012, 09:59 PM
It looks to me that HIS left ear--(viewer right) is off, that the left corner of that ear needs brought forward. That ear should be facing towards his left, not so much to his right. Maybe it shouldn't have ANY pink in it. Seems to me we should be looking at the back of that ear, or a profile of it.
It is a beautiful painting of a beautiful Black Dog.
What Breed? I have a Belgian Sheepdog to do.
Ella

D.W. Flint
07-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks Crafor. You may be right about that ear now that you mention it. She's a German Shepherd that we rescued. By the way, the colors are off due to me fooling with the contrast in GIMP.
Much thanks....

Sissal
07-23-2012, 12:22 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

greensyster
07-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Everything about the work is excellent in my view. Totally tail wagging. Ok here comes the but - loose edges on the ears would balance the loose edges on the lower body? Bet your wife is happy!

reverseengineering
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah the eye is a little off I agree. But I love the oil work especially your Navy blue usage. Excellent.

arnieb
07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Excellent piece. Youve got the fur and form very well. Arnie