MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-16-2012/1093772_P1050801.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hunger
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 60cm wide x 90cm high
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting on the theme of famine.
My technique is "old master"- layering and glazing.
I intended the chiaroscuro to be strongly contrasting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
tell me what you think

tylerminix1231
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Powerful piece. Just breathtaking!!!! I personally have nothing to critique! God bless you for sharing.

Debzy
07-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I agree.... very powerful. There is a great sense of love and sadness, hope, pain and dependency in this scene, it touched my heart immediately. I wont critique because I think you have made a very strong point and that was your intention. I will leave the critiquing for the portrait experts. Well done in my opinion. Cheers. Debs. =))

Sissal
07-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Emotion is spilling out of this work! The expression on her face, in her eyes, for her child... you nailed it.

Colors are vivid, yet don't overwhelm. Your chiaroscuro is dark? It works.

My eye first went to baby's cheek hilight, which I think is what you want? My next eye-stop was her middle finger knuckle. Which, I feel, might be valued too highly. Takes the eye from all the rest, which you've done so well.

That's it. My only crit. So, so well done.

Alyssa Black
07-18-2012, 06:04 AM
thanks so much everyone for you kindness!
lys

TDCT
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Her face is UNBELIEVABLE. I love the whole thing and it's full of brilliance but I just can't get past how well done her face is. So much emotion, so much concern and determination and sadness. I would agree about the knuckle though, just a little too much focus. I like the baby being the greatest focus, and the shine of her knuckle draws me away from that a bit. I think we need to go to the baby right away, feel strongly about it, and then to her face to compare our feelings with hers, and realise how much more we could feel...

Very well done!

Andrewcody
07-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Thank you for posting your art work Alyssa.
That we still have the obscenity of hunger in our world says a lot of us as human beings.

I was heartened to read of success keeping malnourished children alive with Plumpy Nut, true it is working :) Please visit the site:
http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/provide-lifesaving-plumpynut-in-horn-of-africa/

If one of our brothers or one of our sisters is in need of clothes and has not enough food to live on, and we say to them, I wish you well; keep yourself warm and eat plenty, without giving them these bare necessities of life, then what good is that?

Kabir c1440

Love and Peace
Andrew