PDA

View Full Version : backgrounds

ann4jc
07-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi can any of you give me some advice on backgrounds on dogs animals and people,i find it so hard to do .
I cant leave the paper cos i usually get it so dusty and it wont rub away,i have done backgrounds but i am not as happy as i could be ,please help,i am doing commisions and ,want to give a good background.I use pastels.
Also i have not found a real good paper yet,i have tried many but am not entirley happy with them.
I find pastels dont blend well,wether it is soft med or hard.Any sugestions. istill love pastels lol,call me a glutton for punishment.:cat:

Dyin
07-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Backgrounds are hard for me too...watch what other people do with theirs and some advice I got in a critique with the same question was to do some backgrounds just as backgrounds, funny as that sounds. Don't do things that take away from the subject...I'd be jumping around this forum looking at how other people do theirs...there are some great examples...and I'm sure you'll get better help than I'm able to give too!

Dark_Shades
07-11-2003, 01:26 PM
what type of paper and pastels are you currently using?

...... I always struggled to think of backgrounds...... I think thats its something you grew into......... but I think its good idea to surf in the forum and see what others are doing ..... if its for commission works, then you might want to ask the customer...... they might have a special place they want it to hang, and not to clash with their colour scheme....... I wouldnt add something to it just for the sake of it..... only if the picture calls for it..... one thing I read which stuck in my mind, is that a background if there is to be one, has to be considered when taking on the project in the first instance, its not something that can be added later..... as it could possible change all the tones

.......perhaps try vinaigrettes..... subtle shades... hints of patterns, textures....... you dont want anything to detract from the main