PDA

View Full Version : Palms at Twilight

Revilo
07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-15-2012/1074282_Palm_at_Twilight.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Palms at Twilight
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9 X 12
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Another one from my imagination, without a reference. Palms grow all over Southern California. Many of them are naturalized and grow in the canyons and ravines without assistance from artificial irrigation.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you like it?

Revilo
07-15-2012, 09:33 PM
This is actually 11 X 14. I posted the wrong size. I couldn't edit the post so I'm adding this info in the reply.

Revilo
09-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Bumping to see if anyone will comment on my painting. This is a gallery wrap. Don't know if I like them yet.

Debzy
09-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Hi Revilo! I do like this work, you have a definite individual style and it is coming through! I love the sky colours, very different! I am seeing you bringing light from the viewers right, perhaps if you also showed this more on the mountains, some shadow on the viewers left side of the mountains perhaps? Also perhaps lighten up the front and mid foreground bushes in areas to liven up the scene a bit. A show of light streaming through onto the grasses with some dark shadows might be a nice touch. I think it is a little flat right now, but well done from imagination. Cheers and hope to see an update. Debs. =))

Revilo
09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Debzy. Very good suggestions.

madtripper
09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
It is a bit hard to comment without knowing your goals.

There are mamy different kinds of palm trees, but the ones you have painted are not the 'common' ones you expect to see. The leaves are too small for the trunk. But then you may be painting a different type.

The palm trees seem to overpower the picture. More sky and mountains might help the composition. If the palm trees are the main focus, I might detail them more, use brighter colors on them and make the background less sharp to focus the eyes on the trees.

These suggestions fit my style better but may be completely inappropriate for meeting your goals and style.

La_
09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
i'm noticing that being able to see the tops of the trees, each top laid out very similarly, makes the trees tops seem to lean toward me ... this is accentuated by the thicker tops of the trunks. it's an odd illusion and i'm pretty sure it's not your intent.
suggest (for this one or the next) lifting a few of the foremost leaves to both cover a bit of the background leaves and show a bit more of the upper trunk

la

Revilo
09-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Here is a reference of the kind of palm depicted. My painting is not "spot on" but I think you get a good impression of the species. While not my favorite painting and not my technical best, my wife really LOVES this one. It goes to show there is no accounting for taste when it comes to art. I'm not going to rework it because I've already varnished it but I can agree with some of your suggestions, however sometimes, "It is what it is." I think eventually this one will find a home with a happy buyer somewhere.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2012/1074282-palm2.jpg