GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lunchtime in Santorini.-
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This new illustration is also an imaginary composition, portraying a sunny lunchtime scene in Santorini. Painted with Winsor & Newton Cotman watercolor paints in Daler Rowney Aquafine 140lb paper.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The image looks somehow a bit too yellow in the screen I think. It's whiter in real life, with more subtle yellows. Any C & C most welcome.

Debzy
07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
You have definitely captured a sunny aspect!!! Great colours, bright and cheerful. It is not proportionally correct as far as the figures go, and colour is also unreal, but for a semi surreal work, it is delightful and enlightening. =)) Cheers Debs.

karenlee
07-15-2012, 08:22 AM
I am fascinated by the perspective--I could never do that from imagination~ wow!
I see very little yellow, just some light yellow on the wall on the right. Might be your monitor has a color shift to yellow; does that happen on other images?

AntonioBernal
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Debzy and karenlee for taking a look and commenting!

@Debzy, I think I can see how the proportion of the figures is wrong...is the woman just too small compared to the man? I must say I had a hard time drawing them with no reference photo at all, did a few attempts, lots of corrections, and wasn't too unhappy with the in the end, as I thought that since she's sitting back, it didn't look too bad this way, but I think you are right. Could you please elaborate a bit further on what's wrong so that I can understand it better for future work? (we could always says she's just a petite lady! :P)

@karenlee you might be right, because since I posted it I've looked at the painting in different screens and it doesn't look that yellow...I'll need to calibrate my monitor! :)

Regards,

Antonio

tgsloth
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I find this charming. One problem which stands out for me has to do with the sky. Directly above the horizon line in the sea, the sky is a white with slight yellow hue. This is fine. But then, when we see the sky above the wooden beams, it becomes a fairly dark blue. This is too abrupt a change. Probably if you darken and blue the sky above the sea, you'll get a fix and I also suggest you soften the horizon to sky edge to give a sense of distance.

AntonioBernal
07-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks, tgsloth, that's really helpful. I think you are right, I'll try to make some changes to the sky and the horizon and see how it goes!

Debzy
07-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Antonio, The way I see it, it is not meant to be totally realistic, therefor you may not want to change the figures, as they work with the style you exhibit! My opinion on the figure apart from this, is that the lady's legs look flat like the chair she is sitting on, her legs could be the chair. =)) Also, the mans hands and arms and hands look thin and small, but as I said, it's all relative to the style you are painting, and I think it is a great and heartwarming painting, depicting a happy comfortable scene. Cheers Debs. =))

Yayagal
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I love the spirit of it, the colors and the way it makes me feel. Terrific!!