PDA

View Full Version : Torrent at Springbrook National Park

greensyster
07-14-2012, 10:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-14-2012/135872_Torrents_at_Springbrook.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Torrent at Springbrook National Park
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 30 x 40inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is painting for my Flood series exhibition in November. I love the relative uniqueness of the red rocks at Springbrook and the totally over the top lushness of the rain forest so I wanted to paint the rush of the newly made creeks as the torrents came down flooding most of our State. I wanted to paint the sound and get the sense of every where one looked there was water and things happening. No rest for the eye in this one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
You can see my aims were high - do you get the sense of what I sort to paint? In addition, I value all constructive critiques. Thank you!

dgford
07-15-2012, 06:56 AM
That is quite a confluence! You can hear it ! It reminds me a little of a view I had from a light aircraft flight over Arnhem Land a few years ago. Sheer primitive forces of nature.
I think you have captured it well. The only slight suggestion I would make is a touch more of the darker swirling reflections in the lower centre water from the dark promontary above it. It could add to the turbulence.
Congratulations on a difficult subject.
Geoff

Debzy
07-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Wow Marie! I love it! The colours, the sparkle on the water, the movement, the sound, the atmosphere.... the sound... the sound... Yes I can hear it too!!!! Beautiful! I love colours and these are my favourites. Excellent in my opinion! Cheers and keep painting with such brilliant colours! Debs. =))

tgsloth
07-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I think the word for this is breathtaking. We who look at alot of art see many water-rapids pictures and yet yours stands out as being sharply original with outstanding randomization of the elements in the painting. I had one thought for an alternate treatment. The orange in the painting is a near complement to the greens and sets up quite a hue "buzz". If you push it towards yellow, you move closer on the color wheel to an analogous treatment and arguably, this shifts the viewer's attention to the water. Here's what it could look like.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2012/124239-135872_Torrents_at_Springbrook.jpg

eyecandy2
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Marie, it is beautiful. However I agree with tgsloth's critique. He is usually right on in his suggestions. You haven't lost my confidence.

leisure artist
07-15-2012, 02:29 PM
This is very striking,love the colours....a beautiful painting:)

greensyster
07-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Geoff - I see what you mean, I will have a play with that. Thank you Deb glad you love the work. Bob - as always from you valuable input. And you alternate would make a less 'in-your-face and- in-your ear ' painting but (ah yes she has a butt) the red/orange I have painted is the actual colour of the rocks there and indeed it against the green green of the rainforest is 'noisy' even without the torrents. Thank you Phil and I agree, that man Bob is definitely worth his salt! And thanks indeed Leisure Artist.

arnieb
07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Beautiful piece - love all the movement and energy. Arnie:thumbsup:

crazywoman53
07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
It is quite a nice painting Marie. I get a little lost down in the right hand corner trying to decern if that orange rock is above the water or on level with it. It is probably just me not seeing right.

greensyster
07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Arnie - thank for thumbs up :)
Christine - you make such a valuable observation about the foreground rock. I have change it and fixed the false illusion. Thank you.

Andrewcody
07-19-2012, 02:10 AM
Marie, I would leave the colours as you painted them. To me they make sense being familiar with the redness of the sandstone rock in your area. There is seeing and then there is seeing and knowing.
I like your work a lot
Thanks
Andrew

greensyster
07-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you Andrew - I love your comment!