PDA

View Full Version : Tornado weather gdday

NeilF92
07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2012/95311-Cadwestfin.jpg

NeilF92
07-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Can't seem to combine text and photo in the same post at the moment .
The above painting is 32" x 24" Acrylic on canvas board .
A few years ago I was lucky enough to be on the hillside at Cad West when this all Australian crew from RAF Lossiemouth departed RAF Valley on the Monday after an airshow. Despite low cloud down to the mountain tops we were treated to three stunning low level passes , This depicts the final run , wings fully swept . They passed just below us about 100 yds away then rolled level plugged in the burners and went vertical through the clag .
A great memory that makes me smile.
I fouled up the photos really badly that day but managed to save enough to put this painting together.

vegaskip
07-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Nice one Neil, I bet that scattered a few grouse and hill walkers.
Jim

shadwell
07-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Nice one Neil, I bet that scattered a few grouse and hill walkers.
Jimpracticaly no grouse (if any ) it is wales and hill walkers are fairly scarce oop there plenty of togs though

keep saying i'll go there on a shoot , better get a move on while we still have some planes !!

nice work though captured the spirit of the event well !!

NeilF92
07-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys. I think this incident dates back to 2001 or even before . The location is a few miles south of Dolgellau . Back then we were just a small gathering of like minded nutters . I think there were about half a dozen of us that day and that was regarded as an unprecedented crowd!
Usually there would only be one or two out on the hill.
I'd love to go back but don't relish coping with the overfilled car parks and joining fifteen or twenty others at the same spot.
Sounds snobbish maybe but some of the newcomers don't seem to appreciate the countryside and leave their litter behind them .

shadwell
07-14-2012, 04:52 PM
so true neil lake tallyn is stunning dolgellau is loveley as is barmouth on the coast and trawsfynnyd reservior has some great fishing ( i have eaten trout from there ) although they probably only had low background radiation cos i only glowed in the dark for a few months

it is indeed such a stunning area so sad lazy b****rds leave their junk behind !!

halthepainter
07-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Neil that would be a fun experience. You get a real sense the speed involved on these runs.

NeilF92
07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks Hal - the speed is something you have to adapt to. The first few times you try low level shots like this it all seems to start nice and steady ,then all of a sudden you are behind the game , struggling to keep up with the aircraft and stay steady. Practice makes perfect as they say - but any lay off means the first catch of the next trip will probably catch you out again!

Gray539
07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice illusion of speed on this one, Neil.