PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby

Wahsuzy
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-13-2012/1091382_dear_abby_600.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dear Abby
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this is my first person. im not real happy with her feet. I also realize that the couch she is sitting on needs more depth...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
i want to know what everyone thinks of my painting and what is wrong with the feet and how to fix:) i also need to know what is what. this is one of my clients daughters. i have her permission but not the photographers. so should i have even done this???

Andrewcody
07-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Susie you have selected a very difficult and awkward pose for painting your first person.
There is a problem with the length of her left leg, if what we see between here two arms is her left knee??? and I think is has to be. So the left foot should be higher
Left shoulder is also misplaced.
Sofa does need some depth but I would get the pose right first
Andrew

Wassie
07-14-2012, 04:08 AM
I don't think that is her knee between the arms, just the fold in the fabric (Well, maybe I'm wrong.) Her left shoulder does seem misplaced. I wish we could see the ref photo but w/o the photographer's permission it may not be possible.

Wahsuzy
07-14-2012, 07:53 AM
She is sitting with her legs crossed. So yes that is her knee between her arms. I have restudied my ref photo and as far as I can see everything is in proportion. She is sitting towards the light sooo maybe that's what's throwing some
of this off??? No clue. So, I really can't post the red photo?? I really would like for you to see it to help me:(

leisure artist
07-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Suzy...i do not think i am experienced enough to critique,but imo.this painting is very well done,well balanced and in proportion.....:clap:

eyecandy2
07-14-2012, 01:28 PM
You sure picked a difficult pose to paint. Her left foot is too large and that very dark shadow just below it accentuates it. I don't understand the little semi circles on what I think is a bed. The folds of the dress should be forms and not lines. And lastly, I think that you could do more with her hair. As is it looks like a bunch of clumps without any highlights. However, after all is said and done, you didn't do a bad job. Just needs a little more work.

Wahsuzy
07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Eyecandy, are you referring to the foot on the floor? That's the one I feel needs work. As far as to the semi circles, I was trying to capture the light on the couch she is sitting on which I realize it needs more depth. Just wanted to say this is my very first person and it is with acrylics. Now I am thinking of switching to oils for better blending. I have never had lessons and am a little intimidated by so may wonderful artists on here. Thank you for your input even if it hurt my feelings a tad.. Well I had better toughen up or I will never get better until I have some "real critisism". So thank you:)

Andrewcody
07-14-2012, 09:45 PM
What is the problem with showing the reference photo?
You can credit the photographer with the photo.

The head is too big also

Andrew

Debzy
07-15-2012, 08:12 AM
For a first attempt, I think you did a great job. Acrylics are difficult to blend, but you can paint over them to a degree. I can't see the couch at all, it looks like she is crouching in a pose to me, but don't have hurt feelings, this is how you learn! You have done an exceptional job for your first portrait and could improve it if you want to, or just move on with the advice and start another!!!! I love all your work so far, keep posting, keep painting and keep smiling!!!! Cheers Debs. =))

Jonny_L
07-15-2012, 09:13 AM
I think you're wise to be cautious about photograph use. The copyright remains with the photographer even after they've sold it and you should not really copy or use a photograph without permission from them. If the photo is by a professional (it looks like it probably is) they may not like it being posted up here without their permission. Nice work, by the way: I agree the foot shadow is too dark, but otherwise well done!