PDA

View Full Version : Yarramundi Bridge.... Commissioned

Debzy
07-13-2012, 03:09 AM
This is the very early early stages of a watercolour that someone asked me to do for them. I have only spent an hour on it so far, but the blocking in is done. If you can give me any early pointers so that I can keep it fresh I would be very grateful, it is a pretty ugly concrete bridge unfortunately, but the buyer has sentimental reasons for wanting it. I tried to limit the bridge when I photographed it so it didn't spoil the beautiful landscape around it. He wanted a long panoramic type view and this is what I came up with and he liked it on the photo. I hope it turns out ok for him. ????? arrrrgggghhhhhhh :crossfingers:

Andrewcody
07-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Fantastic Deb - Bravo on getting this commission

Your start looks really good, love the colours already

I think the bridge looks fine, recognized the type and style immediately, and with the foliage framing it will look even better.

You have a bit of a Sydney Long thing going on with the trees, it is really exceptionally good

Andrew

Trumper
07-13-2012, 04:52 AM
:) Agree with Andy,looking very good,look forward to seeing it progress. :)

Debzy
07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Oh wow, thank you so much, it really has a long way to go yet, but I accept the challenge because there is learning in every painting we do and I do love water colour so much. I will post the stages as I go and I am also inching closer to doing a portrait..... yikes!!!! scary for me! Thanks again I am really hoping this one turns out well. Cheers and catch up soon Debs. =))

Trumper
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM
:eek: You are braver than i with watercolours,never really got on with them,makes me appreciate how good the paintings are,very hard.

Debzy
07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Awww thanks Trumper, I am doing a bit more on it this afternoon. No it isn't easy, but then I have issues with other media so I guess it is all relative to what you like and feel comfortable with. I am going to break out soon and have a go at oils again, just had a few commissions that I have to get finished in watercolour first. I also want to do some more pastels as I really enjoy using them, a bit messy though!!!! Cheers and thanks. Debs. =))

Debzy
07-14-2012, 04:15 AM
This is the progress so far. What do you think? Any suggestions are welcome, I still have much to do on here. Cheers Debs. =)):D :cat:

Debzy
07-14-2012, 07:51 AM
This is the next instalment, it is getting there now. Have to do the foreground and finish the water and bridge. Any comments / critique very welcome. Cheers Debs. =))

Debzy
07-14-2012, 10:11 AM
next instalment.... Bridge half done! Still to do foreground and more on the water. =))

Debzy
07-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Next instalment... Foreground started, bridge half finished and water still to finish. Sleep now, going cross eyed. Cheers Debs. =))

Debzy
07-15-2012, 01:39 AM
I think this is almost finished now. I will post it into the open forum to see what they think. May need a few tweaks, but hopefully nearly done. I hope the buyer is happy. =)) Cheers and thanks. Debs. =))

maryinasia
07-15-2012, 03:32 AM
gorgeous!

Trumper
07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
:) Blimey you do work quick,well done.Lovely bit of work,may i ask why someone would want a painting of the bridge?

Debzy
07-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks Trumper and Mary !
Well he wanted the bridge in one because he lived and grew up in the close vicinity (just around the corner) and spend a lot of his youth around the old bridge. This isn't the original old bridge, but has replaced it (many years ago now). He used to fish and hang out with his mates here and knows the whole area like home. He bought the other two from me "Yarramundi Fisherman" and "Castlereagh River" (the one with the boat and two fishermen in it on the river). The reference photos for these two were taken at either side of the bridge nearby. He asked for a longer panoramic type painting of the bridge so he could hang it above his TV in his lounge room, the other two are hanging at either side of the TV. He wanted to complete the scene he grew up in with the bridge being in the middle above the others. He is around my age, (50) and has fond memories of his youth at Yarramundi. It is an ugly bridge.... but I did the best I could and didn't add the graffiti that was on some of the pylons. Hmmm..... Do you think it looks ok Trumper? Please critique if you can see something to add or change, I am hoping he will be pleased with it. =)) Cheers Debs.

Trumper
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
:wave: I think it looks great,the fact he has bought 2 off you earlier suggests he loves them.:)
I can't see anything to change ,the owner hopefully will give you truthful feedback :)

Debzy
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Thank you for your wonderful support Trumper, I will let you know how it goes! I am pleased with how it has turned out because although I finished it relatively quickly, it was not an easy painting. Thank you again for your valuable encouragement. Cheers. Debs. =))

docsaro
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Wonderful wip as usual.. Ilove the step by step development of the stages.... great work..!

Saravanan.

Andrewcody
08-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Deb I think the bridge looks correct, it may not be pretty but there is a beauty in it all the same.

Did you work out a price for it that you were happy with?

Andrew

Debzy
08-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks so much Docs and Andrew! I haven't framed it yet because I have to add just two minor changes when my working hours permit. Hopefully on Sunday after work. Then I need to take it to the framer and see how much that will cost. Add that to the painting, which I think I have worked out $200. If the buyer doesn't like the price, then I am happier to keep the painting for future sale as I have other interested buyers. Thanks for following, I will let you know Andrew as soon as it happens. Cheers! Off to work now for 8 hour shift! Have a great weekend and catch up again soon. Debs. =))

E.Smet
08-06-2012, 09:34 AM
WOW, as I scrolled down I was literally gobsmacked. I'm actually lost for words. I don't know whether to throw my brushed away and quit or be inspired about how much better it is possible to get. Thank you so much for sharing the process of this painting.

Debzy
08-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Lol... Thank you so much for your encouraging words! Do not throw your brushes away, every time I paint I improve just a touch. I learn by mistakes and like anything, practice is the secret! You are welcome, i have a few others part finished that I will be posting stages of soon, just have to get some free time from working to do them. I appreciate your comment and it inspires me to keep going too!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

crafor
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
It's absolutely wonderful. You are one talented woman, with a great eye and mind. I know nothing of watercolor, and had no idea this (last) could result from the first block in. Everything about it says "very talented professional".
I learned something here, thanks.
If he doesn't like it, my address is...
Ella

Debzy
08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Awww.... Wow, thank you Ella, what kind words. I am truly humbled. I am so glad it was beneficial too. You are very gracious. Cheers. =)) Debs.