PDA

View Full Version : "Reflections"

rocker95630
07-13-2012, 02:33 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-13-2012/185559_REFLECTIONS.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Reflections"
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
right off the easel ...took me 4 1/2 hours

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
tell me what you think

La_
07-13-2012, 02:45 AM
i'm just curious, how many paintings have you done and how many have been seascapes?

many beautiful things to note but this is a critique forum so i'll ponder the notion of reflections usually being darker than what they are reflecting ... would it look better, more natural if the rocks were lighter/their reflection darker? ... do you have a reference you could post?

la

Andrewcody
07-13-2012, 03:29 AM
Agree with La, overcast, clearing stormy weather perhaps, light source looks way in the distance to the left far ground. Yet reflection is quite bright this side of the pointy rocks.
I like the light coming through the cresting wave, it emphasizes that the light source is way out that way somewhere.

Not a bad effort for 4.5 hours - speed painting?

Andrew

tgsloth
07-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I suggest that the use of intense blue chroma is hurting the piece as it looks more like fantasy art than like an actual scene. Also the heavy clouds are confined to a section of sky on the right and this seems artificial. The dark rocks appear too ordered and repetitive. You want more randomized forms.

Debzy
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
I agree with all the above, it does look more fantasy, perhaps that was the intention. I'm not keen on the big dark rock on the right and in my opinion I would soften the heavy clouds and add some of the green from the left front headland to the waves to tie it together more, but otherwise it is a pretty scene and shows great potential! =)) Cheers Debs.

Aly_K
07-14-2012, 01:47 AM
I also think that the blue is too intense, you should try glazing over this to warm the picture a bit.

Wassie
07-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Oh, my goodness, with all the suggestions above which are probably all correct, I just love this painting. The action of the waves is just riveting and I love the fantasy feel to it.

eyecandy2
07-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree with tgs. I also think that all of your forms are too vivid and need softening. Every form is sharply deliniated and that give the scene a commercial advertising look.

greensyster
07-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Hardest thing to learn about painting the sea is learning how waves come into the beach. I agree with the above critiques but the most important aspect to me is that your foreground waves are too close together. Also, with all the splashing about there would be foam running down the rocks. Anyway, great start!