PDA

View Full Version : Question about rag paper

yoyita_yoyita
07-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Which will be the best 100% rag paper suitable for watercolors?
I have found too many types of papers.

DuhVinci
07-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Do you mean water based printing ink? Or using watercolor paints in print making? I'm newly interested in print making so I also have questions about what paper to use.

sassybird
07-10-2003, 03:26 AM
If you want to print, and then go in to hand color the prints I would suggest Rising Stonehenge. Can you clarify what you are asking a bit more pleae?

yoyita_yoyita
07-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Printing 100 % rag paper seems to be more suitable to use for watercolors, but the variety is so big, which of them would you suggest will be better for watercolor?

DuhVinci
07-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Yoyita, If you are talking about watercolor painting you should ask your question in the watercolor forum. But I can give you an idea of what they may tell you. Apart from the fact that 100% rag, or cotton, is the highest quality paper, the choise of what type of paper to use is based largely on individual preference.
The two main factors to consider are weight and surface texture. The two main weights are 140 lb. and 300 lb.
The lighter is less expensive but can buckle when wet and cause problems. pre-wetting and "stretching" can prevent this and this is what many watercolorists do. Others find ways to paint without buckling becoming a problem. Using the heavier paper can be expensive but largely reduces the buckling problem.
The three main surface textures are hot press which is very smooth, cold press which is somewhat rough, and rough. The most commonly used is probably the cold press which has enough of a texture to create special effects (ie. with dry brush technique) but not so much as to overwhelm. A painter might choose hot press if they wanted no surface texture to interfere with painting fine details or if the wanted the painting to have a very smooth appearence.
Also to consider are the various brands of paper. Each has its idividual properties of absorbance, degree of whiteness, and texture. You can only find which you like by trying them, diferent painters swear by different brands.
Since you have posted your question in the print making forum, I still wonder, are you refering to watercolor painting or to print making? About print making, I have no Idea as to what papers to use. I get the impression though that the best papers for print making are different than those I've described above for watercolor painting. I, myself, am interested in what to consider in choosing a paper for printing so if any printers can help out with this I would be thankful. I have no press.