PDA

View Full Version : Madness for some idea

Maffet
07-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Well, I am sure, you all know that. You have got an idea, something which sits in you brain and you can't think about any other things. When you are taking your morning tea, when you are going somewhere, when you are just watching newspapers, you still have that idea before your eyes and you can't stop to think about it even you know, that there is a many thousand things to do, which are more important. Your natural instinct says, go and create that idea, turn it to life, but your life and needs of family say, it's not time for that: just do drawing and store idea for worst times. But ... but... you still have no peace and vision of that idea follows you on every step. What you do with that? Do you listen your instinkts and you go over all thing and do it until you clear your head or do you store ideas in sketches. I mostly do the second way because of regular work and family rules, but my experience says that when I hold all that feelings inside, I am alway very nervy, bad mooded and all work do bad, even I know that it's bad for people around and need to control this. But from time to time, I catch some madness, leave all around and work untill I fall into bad in the morning, absolutly tired but satisfy and happy and in this moments best things are created. Is it just lack of discipline or naturality is just traying to break walls?

andyvry
07-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Everyone is different and how they manage to channel ideas as well as keeping all else that is going on in their lives running smoothly will depend on their personality, the kind of "creative work" they do, as well as the ability to organise themselves, etc.

Personally, I keep a lot of notes and sketches.......scribbles, whatever.

And, that time between sleeping and waking is maybe when so many things can get put in the right perspective, problems solved. You know, it's like when "the penny drops".....er, things fall into place and all seems well with the world. Your confidence returns...... that sort of thing. :D I regularly check back through my notes and drawings and if the time is right, perhaps there will be one idea that feels right to work on to completion...

The main thing is, I try not to allow frustration to take a hold on me.....it can be very destructive, certainly counter-productive.... But it is alright to be in a bad mood once in a while.......You, me... we are only human, yeah? :)

andy.

DanaT
07-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi, Maffet.

Welcome to the Creativity forum.

I think everyone has had an idea come at the worst possible time when other responsibilities are pressing. I always have a sketch book handy to catch those thoughts.

Right now, I'm working in oils which is not as receptive to quick work but I'm working on it so that I can 'play' around with the idea in a medium close to what I'll be finishing the work in.

Good luck.

jimb
07-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Maffet
Well, I am sure, you all know that. You have got an idea, something which sits in you brain and you can't think about any other things. When you are taking your morning tea, when you are going somewhere, when you are just watching newspapers, you still have that idea before your eyes and you can't stop to think about it even you know, that there is a many thousand things to do, which are more important. Your natural instinct says, go and create that idea, turn it to life, but your life and needs of family say, it's not time for that: just do drawing and store idea for worst times. But ... but... you still have no peace and vision of that idea follows you on every step. What you do with that? Do you listen your instinkts and you go over all thing and do it until you clear your head or do you store ideas in sketches. I mostly do the second way because of regular work and family rules, but my experience says that when I hold all that feelings inside, I am alway very nervy, bad mooded and all work do bad, even I know that it's bad for people around and need to control this. But from time to time, I catch some madness, leave all around and work untill I fall into bad in the morning, absolutly tired but satisfy and happy and in this moments best things are created. Is it just lack of discipline or naturality is just traying to break walls?
Sometimes you've just got to get it out of your system. There are days that I feel really crappy if I don't paint. Right now, I'm being hammered by images that are crying out for me to paint. I feel antsy because I know I've got to do them. Although I guess shouldn't complain because it sure beats the heck out of those dry spells. :)

CarlyHardy
07-09-2003, 07:03 PM
I kind of like it when I have an idea for a painting and have to keep it on hold for a time. Instead of reading a book at the dental office, I think in terms of color and shapes...how they will come together on a canvas...sort of like playing with the idea in my mind. It's surprising how easy the process takes place in reality when I've 'digested' it for awhile.

There are times when we all have to put other things in front of an idea for a painting...or a day for getting out to paint on location. Life does seem to present obstacles sometimes to our creativity.

carly

DanaT
07-09-2003, 07:16 PM
How right you are, carly. Sometimes it takes courage to put the painting first.

Maffet
07-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Thank you to all. You are right Carly. Sometimes I find that time when I am obsesed with some idea and can't do that is usefull the same way as painting itself. During that time I twist idea in my head thousand times, so when come the moment and there is a time to paint, I know every shape I would like to paint. (Of course there is a limit of what I am able to paint. :-)
Oh yes, not always things go way we want, you know and everyday things and life don't allow to draw or paint for which I am sometimes angry and sad, but finaly when I am under presure and take rare minute to have chance paint, ideas coming more easy. In the moment when I have after few months of mad running all weekend only for painting, I have empty head, no energy, no inspiration. :)

erik_satie_rolls
07-12-2003, 10:36 AM
Great thread-

here lately I keep partially finished images all over the place, two are looking at me as I type. (well one is looking off to the side.)

My own way of making art is to do it in bursts. I've learned to have materials on hand in my office at work, in my car, and in the house as well as the studio, to be prepared. When creative energy hits me, with few exceptions, I stop what Im doing and go.

My job allows this some, as Im the one in charge.

Maffet, the only more important thing that I can see than my art (as directed by God) is my children, and I set art aside for basically 20 years while raising them. (Im not one of those who can do art and parenting at the same time, Im completely inward when I create, completely outward when I parent). Now, finally, its my turn.

Take your own counsel and do your art when the time comes. But be able to look back and say - yes this WAS more important than the art. Because its YOUR life, and you only get one. You only get to go through your 20s one time, etc.

There are very few things that fit that category of lifetime importance. Trust in God to give you the discernment as to what they are.

Dan

belladonna
07-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Maffet
, you still have that idea before your eyes and you can't stop thinking about it even you know, that there is a many thousand things to do, ..... but... you still have no peace and vision of that idea follows you on every step. What you do with that? ... But from time to time, I catch some madness, leave all around and work untill I fall into bad in the morning, absolutly tired but satisfy and happy and in this moments best things are created.

I go over and over the ideas in my head so they will be ready for the time that will come eventually. When I have time, I just make a quick sketch on the board to give me reference points, and then I paint. I don't do thumbnails, or sketch studies, (although I do know it is highly recommended), I just don't have the time!
It is my way to think for a long time about a painting before I start it. Sometimes years go by before I am ready to paint that particular painting... When I have thought about it long enough, I can see it clearly finished in my mind, then, I just have to paint it so others can see it too.
:D
I too get very distracted at times with ideas. This driven sense of purpose. These kinds of goals... Something so promising and wonderful to look forward to. My kids know that when I say, "mommy is painting today", it means that I have paint! My youngest is 12 now and even he understands this. They let me go and I have learned to paint with their company in the studio. They know not to bother me too much when I am working, but they still like to be near. I have a good studio, so I can leave my work out and ready to go anytime day or night. When I can paint, I often paint all night and loose track of the time, then I hear the birds singing, and the light in the room changes... It is hard to leave the painting and go to bed when it is going well, but I can rest happy and feel satisfied, and hope it will happen again soon. It's a kind of madness I love. I would be lost with out it.

There are also those frustrating times when I could go paint, but I donít feel like I would do well. Those times when I have other problems going onÖ Those times I donít even try to paint because I know I would just mess things up. I will read instead, or do some small chore around the house that I have been putting off, or, I will go make popcorn and watch a movie and just cuddle with my familyÖ I use to look at these times as a waist, but now I accept them for what they are. A chance to catch up on other things, or as a chance to relax and rest.

paintergirl
08-05-2003, 09:19 AM
I am notorious for getting ideas at the 'wrong' time ...In recent months when that burst of inspiration comes, I prep the support right away, as soon as I get home . etc - even if I will not get to working on the piece for some time. Just blocking in the base color(s) or something to that effect is usually enough to keep me anxious to work on it as soon as I am able...
I have moments when the walls are a little full of works -"waiting"-to-progress....But I do eventually get to them ;)

Stoy Jones
08-05-2003, 12:57 PM
This is great! I'm not alone. No matter where or who we are, we face the same problem. Most of my ideas come when I'm most busy. If an idea won't let me sleep, I go to my project and rush the job to get it out of my system. Rarely do I get it right the first time, so at my leisure, I go back and work it the way I had envisioned.

Stoy

DanaT
08-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Waiting to progess, I like that Julia.

I find that the prep stage can get me in gear too. I started laying out my things at night just so I'd have something to do when I get a spare moment or two.

The hazard with this is that the oil paint dries out but Saran wrap can work wonders!