PDA

View Full Version : WARNING:New trendy use for pastels...Hair chalking

nvcricket
07-12-2012, 12:46 AM
WARNING: If you have teen to young adult daughters, lock up your pastels....

There is a new trend to use pastels to color the tips of your long locks...
The girls prefer to use the expensive pastels - the softer the better.

I learned about this the hard way from my daughter getting into my stash of pastels. I shouldn't complain, it's better than living with her hair neon green and cobalt violet permanently!

Check out this url....

http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/01/chalk-it-up/

Coming soon to your local Sallys Beauty Supply Store, the Ludwig NEON collection...:lol:

Carol

maryinasia
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
sounds like a good way to make a bit of money :)

angie_v
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
hehehe, I saw that a while ago. I think it's pretty neat. I put some hot pink manic panic in my hair every now and then - but then you have it for awhile. The 'chalking' is pretty cool, espcially for younger children where you might not want them walking around with coloured hair for a long time.

allydoodle
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Oh geez, I have a 15 year old daughter who is very much into fashion..... I see the need for some padlocks in my very near future....... It won't be "fun at my house" if my pastels are invaded....... nothing is sacred, even my precious pastels....... :crying:

Yup, padlocks for sure :lol: ....... maybe even an armed guard :eek: !

rugman
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
yea, my thirteen year old daughter had that done last time she got her hair cut. Hair dresser lady talked her into trying it. Nice thing is, it washes out! So far my daughter doesnt seem interested in having it done again, and I did threaten her with her life (well, sort of), if she used my pastels in her hair. LOL

crazywoman53
07-12-2012, 04:50 PM
My 15 yr old Grand daughter will be wanting to try this.. .. Not telling her that's for sure! lol

water girl
07-12-2012, 05:38 PM
You don't have to be a teenager to have fun chalking your hair....:angel:

Colorix
07-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Karen, I'm with you!

Hey, it is good for us that kids (and those young in spirit) use this for hair! The more popular pastels become, the better it is!

bluefish
07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
another great use for 'Pan Pastels'.........:lol:

can see the ad now....."Ladies, get rid of that tell tale grey, Pan Pastels will restore your natural self..... just sponge it on"...:D

allydoodle
07-12-2012, 10:11 PM
another great use for 'Pan Pastels'.........:lol:

can see the ad now....."Ladies, get rid of that tell tale grey, Pan Pastels will restore your natural self..... just sponge it on"...:D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nvcricket
07-13-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm with you Karen and Charlie, I'm tempted to try it. I wonder if hair spray will help it from sloughing off...

I dare anyone to try this and post a pic here...

Didn't they do something like this in the Revolutionary Days???

Carol

Colorix
07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Carol, I dare! Next week, though.

*j9*
07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I bet the iridescent Sennelier's would be ideal for this!

song_bird
07-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm not into pink green and violet hair, but that's kinda pretty the way they show it done subtly with wispy multi-layered colors! Would think it would get all over clothing and stuff.

Devonlass
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm tempted to try blonde highlights with a pale creamy sennie, but I wonder if it would come off all over my pillow if I didn't wash my hair before bed.

chuas2
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Ok, I like it. Reminds me of crazy color in the 80's. I used it on top ov BY Mousse and put a little glosser of the top to help it stay. Blue is Sennelier, Pink is a Schmincke.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2012/208492-painting_hair_chalking.jpg

Davkin
07-13-2012, 07:34 PM
So, are we going to need a sticky for pastel hair art? :lol:

bluefish
07-13-2012, 07:54 PM
when you go for that job interview, I'd skip the 'blue' and 'pink'.....:lol:

in the studio, it's very becoming.......:wink2:

maybe some of Terry's 'Intence colors".........each swatch of hair a different color.......just the thing to wear @ the next IAPS convention......along with the orange top and blue socks......:clear: :lol: :evil:

DBfarmgirl
07-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Thank God I have a son. My pastels are safe!

Marmsk
07-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Don't bet on it!!!

*Deirdre*
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm with you Karen and Charlie, I'm tempted to try it. I wonder if hair spray will help it from sloughing off...

I dare anyone to try this and post a pic here...

Didn't they do something like this in the Revolutionary Days???

Carol
Carol....my lovely blonde labrador, Saffey, did this at least two years ago...who knew she'd start a new trend! Took weeks to wear off - even after washing!:eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2012/33616-1agirly-saffey.gif :lol:

*Deirdre*
07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
when you go for that job interview, I'd skip the 'blue' and 'pink'.....:lol:

in the studio, it's very becoming.......:wink2:

maybe some of Terry's 'Intence colors".........each swatch of hair a different color.......just the thing to wear @ the next IAPS convention......along with the orange top and blue socks......:clear: :lol: :evil:
Saffey recommends TL deep Aubergine...worked a treat on Blonde hair!:evil: :D

bluefish
07-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Deirdre

she looks adorable......and two years ahead of me with the TL recommendation......:D

'blue :wave:

*Deirdre*
07-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Blue....taking this a stage further...we all know pastels work on skin...why should tatoos be the prerogative of the young? We could all do our own Granny Tats or granddad tats....soon stop your youngsters ruining their bodies if they thought WE were doing it too! Eh?:evil: :evil: :evil: :lol:

nvcricket
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
@Deidre...

WOULDA COULDA SHOULDA DEPT...

If only you had a slight clue about this trend setting fashion two years ago, you could have gotten a jump start on marketing this idea and be a millionaire by now!

cAROL

*Deirdre*
07-14-2012, 02:24 PM
@ Carol...you're so right! :lol: They give us all sorts of tools as moderators....I'm going to ask the admin if we could have foresight and a bit more brain-power added No biggie for them eh?:lol:

bluefish
07-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Deirdre

jump in now - the UK consession is all yours.......

"paint your body for Halloween with Pan Pastels"........this years 'rage'!

always glad to help........'blue......:angel:

spirothet
07-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I remember going to a party in Germany almost half a century ago where the costume was just a body painted! So I'm guessing this isn't something new in Europe! But what about a revival?!?

bluefish
07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
WOW Cali....tell us more!.......did you go wearing acrylic, pastel, or water color?:thumbsup: :lol:

'blue :angel:

spirothet
07-15-2012, 08:38 AM
I wish I were that avant garde! I was a wanna be hippie but too afraid to get too experimental!! Oh well, whatever I did, I had fun!

bluefish
07-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Cali

it's never to late......splurge a little......:thumbsup:

thevaliantx
07-17-2012, 10:05 PM
This can't be healthy. I thought I read somewhere that absorbing pastel dust into the skin isn't a good thing, and I'm sure this (at least over the long term) could cause respiratory issues. I'm just looking out for their well being (I don't work for the government).

*Deirdre*
07-18-2012, 05:19 AM
This can't be healthy. I thought I read somewhere that absorbing pastel dust into the skin isn't a good thing, and I'm sure this (at least over the long term) could cause respiratory issues. I'm just looking out for their well being (I don't work for the government).
I think most of us were approaching this as a joke, very much tongue in cheek, so I'm sorry if this alarmed anyone. However, I doubt the very small amounts of pastel talked about could do much harm on the skin...especially if bought in the last 20 or 30 years....as far as I know - the known irritants have now been removed from pastels. That is my personal view...anyone using a small amount of pastel for this purpose is advised to check on the maker's website re toxicity.

You are right about pastel dust affecting the respiratory tract,though surprisingly, the amount of dust produced through normal use has not been quantified to my knowledge....having said that, I refer to the fact I have not seen the research papers personally, just health and safety notices by various art schools, which don't have the references to research. You'll find many threads warning re pastel dust in the forum.

Again...I would stress that this topic has been very much tongue in cheek...