PDA

View Full Version : Repose

Michael King
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-11-2012/33832_Repose_Completed_sm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Repose
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
First oil I have done in several years. The impressionistic style is new to me. I have always strived for more realism but lately I have been drawn to the impact and beauty of this style.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any imput is welcome. I desire to learn so please tell me "Why" something can be or should be changed and not just that it should.

Andrewcody
07-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi Michael, I think the fall of light problem is causing some inconsistency making sense of your portrait. I quite like the free brush strokes.
Some things to look at - determine the light source, the background gives no hint or help with this, the tones across the face, hair and arm seem to indicate an upper frontal light source...maybe.
There is something happening at the nape of her neck, and a triangulation issue where the neck and head join.
I also think the pose with her sitting in a semi recline is awkward, the angle from the top of her chest, past the overly rounded breasts and continuing at that same angle below.

Regards
Andrew

tgsloth
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
I like this a lot. I think you've achieved harmonious colors which is a trick in this type of work. And the rough treatment of the face never the less shows real personality. I suggest that there's an uncertain area to the left of the line which follows the back of her arm. Seems to be part of her back but it doesn't look right. And the neck could use more modeling to show roundness; it's a bit flat now. The painting may also extend too far to the right- there's a lot of negative base and some crop might also help.

leisure artist
07-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi Michael as a fan of impressionistic work i like this alot,i love the character portrayed and your colour combinations...christine:)