GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Thanksgiving Tree
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 48"x16"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first painting I've felt proud enough of to sign - and having done that, I consider it the first piece of my "career" (haha, whatever that ends up being :S).

I included three images because I don't feel like you see enough in the full-height one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would just love and appreciate any comments/suggestions on it (:.

Takk very much in advance.

Katie Black
07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I think its beautifully painted..large as well!:clap:

Debzy
07-12-2012, 08:11 AM
I love this! You should be proud, it is delightful! Great work with acrylics, I thought it was oils for a minute! Fabulous colours and depiction of light and shade. Well done! =)) cheers Debs.

docsaro
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
wonderful work... hats off!!

Saravanan.

Dana Design
07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Well done! You're on your way to a very enjoyable journey.

crazywoman53
07-12-2012, 04:19 PM
That is a very interesting tree and I'm curious as to why you title it Thanksgiving tree? Anyway, The other grey tree along the side is moving the eye too quick to the top. I am not really sure you even need that tree in the painting as it really doesn't contribute much. But if you want to keep it think about adding more foliage here and there to slow the eye down so it doesn't take over power from the magnificent dark tree. Good going! Be proud of it!

TDCT
07-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys! Glad to see there isn't much you would change, makes me feel very happy :heart:.

It's called The Thanksgiving Tree because I took the reference photo over Thanksgiving weekend in like 2009 and forgot about it...then going over the pictures this year it just stood out. Such a striking tree, and the album was titled 'Thanksgiving Weekend' so it just came together that way!

I guess I just included the grey tree in the painting because it was in the reference and I thought it was pretty :P. Good point though, it maybe has too much focus. I might add a bit of foliage over it! Will have to think it through though...pretty happy with it as it is and don't want to ruin it (:.

La_
07-13-2012, 02:55 AM
when i first looked i thought, what the heck is with all those horizontal branches! then i wandered about (with my eyes) and thought, nice little distraction with the crooked tree, some balance. in the close ups the distraction is too pronounced.
i had to come back and look again, ponder it all because it's unusual in its reality - normally people weed out this non-perfection, but trees grow like this and i admire your keeping it as such, it's real and i like that quite a lot.

i also questioned the strength of the shadows on the ground, very bold, non normal bold and again i choose to like that little extra punch.

another bold move is to put the main tree pretty much smack dab in the center ... can be ill advised, compositionally. i think you've made it work.

one potential pick, for me, is the base of the main tree, could it come toward me at the bottom, just a bit more, to show it's breadth ... ? it seems too straight there, that very bottom line where it meets the earth.

la

leisure artist
07-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi this is a beautiful painting.....really good colour contrasts...well done!:)

TDCT
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Ahh, I left this for a while and now this feels like a bump. But I had to respond to La...

I'm very happy with your comments because you like the same things about the painting as I do (:, which I think is the best thing for an artist to hear. In addition to the fact that you also had the same initial criticisms I was worried other people might have...and then resolved them the same way I do in my mind!

I get a lot of flak for my shadows - they tend to often incorporate a lot of black paint, which having been (somewhat haha) classically trained, I know is supposed to be a no-no...but I just love it. And hope always that I can make it work somehow. I just adore the heavy contrast I can get with it.

About the bottom of the center tree, I agree it's a little straight :S. I remember justifying that by thinking it was the shadow coming across the tree, but it could stand to be less uniform (:.

Thanks! And thanks Leisure artist (:, and everyone else again.

Andrewcody
07-19-2012, 03:03 AM
I like the tree, I even like that it is framed in by the grey trees. AT first I thought these were dead but they are alive.

You have taken on quite a challenge with this, and it is big, which suits the subject.

Reminds me a lot of the Bunya Pine trees we have here.

Well done

Andrew

fractal_medley
08-18-2012, 08:09 AM
That's a very fine work! I enjoyed looking at it. The detail is truly superb.

TDCT
08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks Andrew and Fractal (:. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is, but we have a lot of them here. After I finished this I said I would never do something so big again...and proceeded to start maybe four? new ones with a similar number of square inches :S. I just like big and bold too much I guess!

Spyderbabe
08-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Love the piece. Would like to see a person near it to get a sense of the scale of it. The much maligned black! I like to use it and found a great analysis of it here:
http://willkempartschool.com/the-3-myths-of-black-in-mixing-paint-colours/