PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question

Luvy
07-08-2003, 05:43 PM
I took my slides and my form filled out to the exibition. They called today saying I didn't fill out a price for the pieces. That's because I really don't want to sell them. I have to call her back tomorrow. Do all pieces submitted to juried exibitions need a price. I mean do the artist sell everything they enter? Most my pieces I've entered are personal. Two portraits of my daughter and one of my dog. Only one is something that others may want.

So question is. Do I have to sell them, just because I've entered them?

marilyn h
07-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Put huge prices on them. That way they won't buy them and if they do. You got huge pieces of money. Like 800 to 1000 and they will most likely just leave them alone.
If you can't put NFS on them. Then do above.

Mo.
07-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Sorry Luvy... can't help you here as I don't know how things work over there.... what I do know is that over here, some shows stipulate that you sell, because they charge a commission on sold works to help pay for the expenses of the show, could this be the case there too?

If so, do as Marilyn suggests and outprice them.

Cheers,
Mo.

CarlyHardy
07-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Some shows don't want to have pieces that are NFS. If they allow it, that's what you should put on your work. If not, as suggested, put a price on them that you would enjoy having if the painting actually sold. :)

carly

Luvy
07-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Thanks you guys. I have to call her tomorrow. Would anyone want a painting of my daughter? I wouldn't think so. I hope not LOL My dog I'd give up it need be. But not my daughter LOL Hee Hee. I guess I'll ask tomorrow if they have to be up for sale. If so I'll do as you all suggest. Surely nobody would pay $1,000 for my daughter, I can't even get her married off LOL

bnoonan
07-08-2003, 08:53 PM
I'm laughing out loud at your last comment - too funny!!!

Good luck on your show entries. Barb

Luvy
07-08-2003, 09:08 PM
I just got the flyer out of my car that I picked up after dropping off my slides. :( It says all enteries must be for sale. UGH I wouldn't have entered those then. Oh well. Looks like big bucks go on these. They get 30 percent of the price. I can hear it now. People will be saying they must be dreaming if they think someone will pay that much money for that painting. LOL Of course I have to be accepted first LOL That's suppose to be determined the 18th. I think they notify you by mail. So tomorrow I will have to put a price on my daughter's heads LOL And my dog Jack too. And the other pic is the one of the professors photo. So this should be real interesting. HELP I wouldn't mind selling the pastel of the black women in the doorway though. I could do like I think Bnoonan said. Crop the photo and do another one similiar.

So what should I put on that painting that would be reasonable. Or do I care if it's reasonable? It's an odd shaped size I have to pay to have that one framed if it's accepted. It's like 17 x 21. So the cost of the frame will have to be a guess since I don't have it done yet. Whoa is me LOL

Deborah Secor
07-09-2003, 05:45 PM
I tell my students and friends who are just getting started selling that they have to figure out the costs and cover those, taking into consideration the commission fee that a show or gallery takes, the cost of your materials, the cost of mat, frame, glass, shipping (or driving to and from to deliver it.) Sometimes I suggest they also consider the cost of the classes they've taken--pro-rated, of course--and the time they've put in, paying themselves an hourly wage based on their level of experience.

Having said all that, you also need to compare your work to that of others in the market and be modest. If you're just getting started you can't command the big bucks. Look at other paintings in the same size, medium, framed similarly, and then go a smidgen lower.

I have one other piece of advice that's a teensy bit controversial. I suggest that you start out now and forever after price your work with the wholesale price in mind as the value of it. In our market here in NM the gallery commission is 50% standard, so I divide by two to arrive at what I need. This means a $700 painting hanging in a gallery or show brings me $350. If the commission is less, I get more. If I sell it myself, I'm rolling in the bucks. But in my mind the painting is WORTH $350. If you start to think of your work as WORTH $700, it really hurts to take a $350 hit.

Hope this helps some...

:rolleyes:

pampe
07-10-2003, 08:53 PM
BUT

if you don't want to sell them....put huge prices on them....

and GOOD LUCK!