PDA

View Full Version : Derwentwater WIP

arnieb
07-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Got back to this one today thatís had about 2 sittings, after not doing any painting for a while.
Iím wondering about the reeds on left? Iíve moved them up to help balance the scene Ė but they are nearer than the land bottom right.
Iím thinking they need to be reduced by a half at least to be right.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Arnie
Oil on canvas 24x12
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2012/192075-mini-Derwentwater_-04.JPG

Dana Design
07-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I think by reducing them in half, you'd lose the balance. The only problem with them is the white which immediately draws the eye. Love what you've done with the water and the hills in the bg. Also, the two areas of land at the bottom of the painting lead the eye to those beautiful hills.

arnieb
07-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks Dana - i'll lose some of the white. Arnie

TDCT
07-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I really like this, and have to agree with Dana on the reeds. Pretty much everything she said. I don't think you can reduce them too much...maybe a bit if you really want, but I can tell they're closer than the land on the right already so I donít think you need to change it. The wisp of white water in front of them leading to the land on the right does it for me Ė which I assume is what you were going for? The only thing is that I think it could be a tiny bit straighter (the white line), the depth of the plunge makes it a little unreal for me Ė but thatís just my two cents (:.

And I ADORE the mountain top right. So wonderful.

arnieb
07-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks TDCT. Ive moved the line and removed the light from the reeds.
I also looked at the ref photo again, and made them look a bit more realistic. Should have done that yesterday.
Will wait for it to dry before doing any more on this one. Thanks Arnie.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2012/192075-mini-Derwentwater_-05.JPG

Debzy
07-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Well Arnie, I loved it the way it was with some of the white, I can't quite relate to it being a piece of land now and feel it needs a little more shade variation of the greens you had before??? The only thing I would have changed is the sharpness of the angle of the foreground land mass on the right, I agree it does entice the eye into the centre of the painting and the delicious hills in the background, but there are so many soft curves in this delicate scene that I would soften it if it were mine. I would probably just variegate the straight shoreline a little more thats all. I would perhaps change the dark mass in the middle right of the water by ever so slightly bringing the (viewers left) side into the water, as I feel it looks like it is lifting off the water, perhaps it just needs to be slightly more horizontal. The others look fine though their tops are level with the shoreline there. These are very minor and you may disagree and feel that I am being pedantic or picky, sorry if I come across that way. I love the subtle colours, you are really putting out some very fine work Arnie! I am always very pleased to view your works, you definitely have a specific style and it is developing beautifully. Well done. Cheers Arnie =)) Debs.

arnieb
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I see what you mean about the variation. I'm going to let it dry and add some highlights - that should fix that, a curve or two on the shoreline, and yes the islands need some work. Thanks Debzy. Arnie

Dana Design
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Oh, yes! I'd let it dry and varnish! It's just beautiful. A very fine painting.

arnieb
07-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks Dana. I've fixed the island and shoreline on right - which perhaps I shouldnt. Dont think I better do any more to this one. :crossfingers: Arnie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2012/192075-mini-Derwentwater_-06.JPG

Dana Design
07-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Voila! Fini!

maryinasia
07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
great feel

Greatblu
07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
This is really a wonderful painting. I love the soft atmospheric feel and beautiful colors of the distant hills. Very good!

arnieb
07-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks Dana, Mary and Maxine. I'm going to rephotograph this and stick in the Open Forum later on today if the light is OK. Arnie