PDA

View Full Version : Still Life

Aly_K
07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-11-2012/1091422_288264_2295029453489_5865824_o.jpeg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still Life
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: A2
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a study of another artist's work: Luis Melendez

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can I improve the detail and texture?
Also how can I make my brushstrokes less obvious?

Debzy
07-12-2012, 08:22 AM
I haven't seen the original, so I can only say what I think... my opinion. I think it looks good. The pears seem too light, though I can see the light source is coming from the front. They are a bit difficult to separate and look like they could use a little shadow somewhere. Also the bottle looks crooked and the bowl. However, it may be the way it was in the original. With brushstrokes, I am not as familiar with oils, but perhaps the paint is too thin or too wet? I'm sure some of the oil painters could advise you best there. Good attempt and nice painting. Welcome to WC Aly =)) Cheers Debs.

La_
07-13-2012, 03:17 AM
okay, were you working from an over exposed image?

i ask because the cast shadow from the napkin to the basket is so beautifully strong, and then the shadows between the pears are so weak

lot's to like, worth pulling it all together ... i think it's a good composition, especially if we get to know what's behind the basket and squash(?)pumpkin

brushstrokes with oils - the softer the finishing brush, the less strokes you'll see

la

Aly_K
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks you both :) I would post a picture of the original but I haven't made enough posts yet