PDA

View Full Version : OP expirament...need advice.

AthenaStorm
07-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I have been making my own paper for a while and want to try using my OP on one. I know I need to protect the paper but am unsure what to use. My issue is I want to be able to see the paper as it has a interesting texture already. I will be using linseed oil and brushes for blending.

I know doing this is terrible for the paper with out protection and cant afford to go buy all sorts of products right now. Any suggestions? It will be framed behind glass with a mat.

While I know it's a terrible idea I figure you don't learn anything if you don't try. I have seen so many articles with many it has to be done one way posts but with out the rule breakers we don't develope ne ideas so this idea is my contribution to rule breaking...maybe.

halthepainter
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I would say it's essential to protect the paper especially if you are using linseed oil.

Use clear gesso (probably around $8) for a small quantity. It will protect the paper and you will be able to see the paper and it will give you more tooth to grab the oil pastels. It will look milky during application but it dries clear.

By the way welcome to the Oil Pastel Forum.

Let us see your work when it's done.

Erica Shipley
07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Amazing! All these years I have used black or white gesso I had no idea there was clear! Next time I get out I will pick some up thank you! I will post up when I get it finished.

Erica Shipley
07-11-2012, 10:47 PM
oh dear I think I accidentally created two accounts one on mac laptop and one on my ipad....was not intentional I must of forgotten I created one and still had the cookie on the ipad.

halthepainter
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Why don't you stay with Erica. It seems friendlier that way.