PDA

View Full Version : Roll of Pastel Paper

lirael2008
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Hello--Has anyone invested in a roll of sanded pastel paper? I've seen that both Wallis and UArt come in rolls, which is attractive for making customized sizes of paper. However, I'm wondering if the curve of being in the roll is a problem, or if it's easy enough to flatten the paper. Also, wondering how people cut the paper since the rolls are quite wide (UArt is 56").

Winny Kerr
07-10-2012, 11:37 PM
One thing I do know...cut it on the non-abrasive side. I buy mine in the large sheets...24 x 36 inches I believe.....easy to cut on a quilting cutting mat.
I have grown to really love Wallis......

Davkin
07-11-2012, 01:18 AM
I have a roll of Uart. Uart is very stiff paper, I haven't found a way to get it to flatten, I have to mount it to foam core to use it. I hang my roll on a wall in the basement by suspending it on a couple of garage hooks with a pipe. I just use a box cutter to cut off a piece that's close to the size I need and then trim it to the piece of foam core after I've glued it down.

David

adventureartist
07-11-2012, 03:46 AM
I get Wallis by the roll. Just do the tape down and wet method she teaches and it dries flat.

PeggyB
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Either one is easy to mount on foam board or gator board using Graphic's double tack mounting film; Dick Blick is one source.

edm548
07-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi,

If you don't want to invest in a roll, I have done so for years.....it is hard to handle, you need a lot of space, and it dulls your cutting blades quickly.

If you use boards for under painting, I tried ProArt Panels. They dry mount Wallis and UART on foam and conservation board already cut to size. Their prices are less than you find on other sites.

Good Luck

http://proartpanels.com

chewie
07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I have 2 rolls of uart, have no troubles with that. much cheaper than by the sheet, rather fun to not feel limited on what paper I have. and, I think there is lots less waste.

I use a utility knife, cut it pretty square, a couple inches bigger than needed. even if I am going to mount it for using spacers and no mat, I still like a border to try out on.

I put a piece of acid free tape on the back, leaving an inch or so sticking out, which would be facing the front. then make a T with another tape onto the drawing board. several of these around the edges and I'm good to go. holds for long enough to work a decent sized piece.

lirael2008
07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Peggy, when you mount the paper on foam board, I'm assuming it's consumable and you don't remove the paper from the board after you're doing painting. Is this right? Then do people attach the foam board to an easel or just use the foam board as the only support?

Chewie, I'm having a hard time picturing what you do with the tape on the back of the paper, but it sounds like using the roll of paper works well for you.