PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Scene

fams
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-10-2012/156450_Tropical_Scene_med.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Tropical Scene
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a WIP from a photo and a color study for a larger painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all comments/critiques are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~JMW~
07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
nice job on the palm trees ...:clap:

Maybe a few more small waves and soften the beach/water line?

AllisonR
07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Yummy. All those Kodachrome colors give it a surreal postcard feel. I really like your brush strokes, gives it a unique style. I think the sand line to water line is a bit harsh.

Coen1
07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Agree on the comment of the others. Delightful work, but the blue is too harsh. Apart from that, it's perfect!

fams
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
This is a Photoshop version of the changes I'm considering. What do y'all think?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2012/156450-Tropical_Scene_med_revised.jpg

~JMW~
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
oh yes the water & waves are much more inviting.

What about softening the fairly straight line between the beach sand and foreground?
some sort of transition needed, maybe some clumps of soft grasses or a way to make it look sloped to the beach sand?
That farthest tree is right on that line..

fams
07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I think all that I may do is lighten the water and sky colors as I indicated and change the bottom of the trunk of that palm so it is straight which
would look as if it is growing on the slope down to the beach. I like the horizontal lines as they balance the curves of the palm trunks and I don't want to clutter the foreground at all.
Thanks for all your comments.

La_
07-11-2012, 01:23 AM
the horizontal lines positions are great, just care for the strength of their edges when you paint them, keep 'em soft and distancy

huge improvement in lightening the water

how large do you plan to take it?

la

fams
07-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking 24" x 36", which is about as large as my studio will allow. I'm looking forward to using a new studio easel as well.
Frank

Susan Smith
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I LOVE the BLUES and your color mixes as a whole. I am partial to "blue" I love this!

Debzy
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM
The photoshop version is very nice, personally I would also add a little more colour to the palm tree foliage, but thats just my feelings. I would also add a little more warmth to the tree trunks and foreground, perhaps some variation in the foreground grass like adding a little green and copper / gold?.... if it were my painting. =)) I love the scene and I agree the sand meeting the foreground grass needs a little more variation. Lovely composition and distant waves and shoreline look much better. Cheers. Debs. =))

creativechrissy
07-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I think the painting does need a focus other than the trees, as my eyes follow right up to the top and off the canvas. I would have suggested something as simple as a small sail boat on the middleground or near the horizon. I like the overall brushwork and painting

billmahler
07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I like the first version.

Tom Brown
07-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I preferred the original beach/water line, it made me want to walk over the rise and then down to the water. Either way, very very nice painting.

picassolite
07-11-2016, 04:12 AM
'Tropical Scene' - Technical painting issues can sometimes cloud the issue of a potentially really good painting.

There are times when a painting just needs a little 'story' -

something to hook the viewer into a sense of 'been there' or some kind of reverie of a past experience ... like possibly a Vespa scooter leaning against one of the trees ... with an open picnic basket nearby. No humans - just the scooter and the basket. If Winslow Homer were doing this image ... the scooter possibly would be some version of a cadmium orange.

Or ... forget the scooter ... just an open cooler with some Cervezas peaking out.

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

Mars Burnell (https://focuspointshape.com/jurors-corner/mars-burnell-reviews-carol-marine/)

La_
07-11-2016, 12:02 PM
it's a 2012 post, guys
last activity from fams was 2014
fyi

la