PDA

View Full Version : Arms crossed

HenrietteW
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-10-2012/1090892_Malerier-2012-019.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Arms crossed
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 75 cm x 55 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Figure inspired by "Ogier the Dane" (Holger Danske), a sculpture in the dungeons of Elsinore Castle.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How would you say that the contrasts work? Is the distribution of the colours too confusing? Do they spread the focus of the motif rather than keep it together?

Coen1
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Nice work. Anatomy of the folded arms is well done. Despite of the use of black there is still a lot of vivid colours. I like the returning of colours in both fore- and background. Yes, they do spread the motif as you put it yourself, but it isn't disturbing me. One have to search for a second but I think that's appropriate in this style and I certainly wouldn't change it.

La_
07-11-2012, 01:30 AM
nice little emotional roller coaster ride from this character, i cannot pin him specifically to any one emotion

thank you, good job

la

AllisonR
07-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I like the color distribution, it keeps the painting unified. Such a strong yellow in his arm is appealing. I like the pose. His body expression could mean don't f*ck with me, or what do you want? or I'm cold or I'm insecure... with crossed arms we get a hint, but with no facial expression we don't have the answer. I get that it is very loose and abstract, but wonder if a hint of expression could help the viewer feel a bit more for this person. You must use huge brushes to have such a quick, loose style on such a large canvas. You ask about contrast - everything is basically very light or very dark lines in value, with limited grey values.

HenrietteW
07-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanx, all of you. :) Much appreciated. Sometimes, one just needs a second (and a third, fourth etc.) set of eyes. :)

greensyster
07-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Looks great to me.