PDA

View Full Version : Down in the Paddock.... Castleraegh

Debzy
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I decided to do a small water colour for a change, to test my speed, but I have decided to work more on this to improve it. I know, sadly that the horse on the left is way too close to the edge, fortunately, there is plenty of paper room there to extend the painting. Mainly, I wondered about the colour and composition, I have only used green, blue, red and white so far as I wanted to limit the colour palette. It is painted from a reference photo, but I don't think the horse shapes are correct enough. i will be changing the post in front to be more on a lean so that I am not repeating the pattern as it stands now, and I will add a little yellow perhaps to the trees. What do you think so far.? This took two hours, I was hoping to have it finished, but I see that it needs more work. Arrrgggghhhhh...... Cheers Debs. =))

Trumper
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
:) I do worry about the lack of distance,there seems to be a "wall" at the back of the picture but i know it is a WIP and a quick study :)

Debzy
07-11-2012, 05:49 AM
I have changed the background a bit to look like mist, it was a cold day. I have taken out the front pole and will replace it with a slightly more sloping one, Do you think I should add a couple of rocks here and there in the background to show distance? Cheers, Debs. =))

Debzy
07-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I have changed the background, added some rocks? Some fog, and extended the painting more to the left to fit the horse in properly and added some highlights to the trees and slanted the pole a little. Hmmm.... what do you think??? Cheers Debs.=))

Trumper
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
:) Hi Deb ,that is a huge improvement,not really sure what else to add :)

arnieb
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
This one's coming along nicely. Youve got the green's just right now. Adding all the clay has helped a lot. How about some shaddow on and under the animals? Arnie

Dana Design
07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Where is your light source coming from? I can't define the animals. At first, I thought they were sheep but in the last image, perhaps horses with blankets? Not sure.

Impressive work on the middle ground and back ground!

Andrewcody
07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Nice work Deb. I thought they were sheep at the start also, but now they do look like Horses. I like the different textures you have achieved

Andrew

Debzy
07-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Thank you very much y'all, I started this as a quick small watercolour, but once again I seemed to lose the water colour taste in it somewhere by adding too much detail or something? so I will keep trying with new small works. It was an overcast day, I will add the reference photo so if you can suggest anything else I can add to improve it seeing as I have given up on the quick painterly method again. I could add some shadows and also Dana, if you could give me any ideas on making the horses look more like horses I would be grateful. It was tricky because the ref photo wasn't terrible clear where the horses were concerned. I only used red, blue, green white and a touch of yellow for this one, trying to limit the colours I use, as far as that goes I was quite happy with the result. The horse on the left died shortly after the photo was taken, she was an old horse and she was also the mother of the other horse, so if I decide to do a large one of this I think it might sell to the owner who was very fond of her. Her name was Solitaire, she was beautiful.

E.Smet
07-12-2012, 03:38 AM
I think this is beautiful! I really like the rocks you added in the background and the painterlyness of the horses.

Debzy
07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Thank you so much Ella, I will tweak it a little more but then I am moving on to another, it is a very small painting and not much more I can add. I will try to detail the left horse a little more if I can but that's about it. Thank you again for your feedback it is appreciated very much. I love your baby boy work, you are doing a wonderful job. Such patience you have. Cheers and keep up the good work. Debs. =))

Debzy
07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
I have tried to make the horses look more like horse..... I think it is finished. It was only a quickie, but I may do a larger work of this as I like the scene very much. Cheers Debs. =))