Dima
07-07-2003, 05:20 PM
A fantasy landscape done in Sennelier op's on synthetic canvas 45x35cm:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2003/2034-Lzn.jpg

Dick

bnoonan
07-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Hi Dick,

This is good but I have so much enjoyed some of your other paintings much more. Maybe it's the photograph - but it just doesn't "sing" like the others.

Sorry - but I wanted to be honest. Barb

Dyin
07-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Well, I like it, but would like it more if a little more of that yellow was spread around...and maybe a little light grey over the distant blue to push it back...your subject says imaginary...so no photo reference, right?

bnoonan
07-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Dick I'm back again - I decided I needed to offer some thoughts if I was going to say anything at all.

I guess I'm having difficulty figuring out if they are trees or flowers - I'm thinking trees/bushes but the color is throwing me off and then since I know it's a fantasy landscape - maybe I'm being too literal.

I will say that the colors in the sky are great and perhaps Dyin is right - a little yellow could help.

Hmmm... not sure if that helped at all but I thought I'd give it a go.

B

Dima
07-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi Barb and Sue,

By all means be honest.
You're reactions do surprise me a bit though as I was rather pleased with it.
There is indeed no ref. pic and I doubt if these plants/shrubs exist that I imagined to be appr. 1 yrd high and having bloomed some while ago.
The thing is varnished and apart from the strokes there is nothing to tell it is an oilpastel, it has the appearance of an oilpainting.
The real thing is somewhat brighter and lighter than the photograph.
It may of course simply be a not so good picture that somehow still appeals to me.

Dick

Dyin
07-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, blame my monitor....I 'borrowed' it for a second and took it to PS to lighten it some...what a difference! Much better...in fact it negated my comments...I saw more of the yellow and the mountains were pushed back...and the bushes looked a lot different!!! Some things come out on my monitor very well but other things don't translate...this view on the thread, in comparison, looks like a sheet of ultraviolet sunblocker plastic was laid over it, so kind of dull looking....but once I lightened it up it sang like most of your work! So sorry....durn monitor...grumble, grumble...
OH...varnish???? Did the varnishing pick up any of the OP when you were brushing it on? Did it change the coloring any? Do you like it better varnished????

magnuscanis
07-14-2003, 07:20 AM
I like the overall effect of this one, and the subtle colours, but it doesn't seem to me to have a particularly strong centre of interest.

It's a good painting, but I don't think it's one of your best, Dick.

bnoonan
07-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Dick - I'm looking again and since you said it was brighter and lighter no doubt it looks better than what my monitor shows. I love the idea that you varnished it and it looks like an oil. That's fantastic!!! Can't wait to see more of this process and hear how it works for you.

Barb