PDA

View Full Version : Masa paper

T-Rex
06-15-2001, 08:36 PM
Just in the middle of a watercolor on masa, I intend to do something else too (ink?) but haven't gotten there yet. Anyone have any suggestions for using this stuff? Thanks, Karen

paintfool
06-16-2001, 01:14 AM
Hi Karen, welcome to WC. Have you asked your question in the water color forum too? They may be able to help. It's ok to ask certain questions under more than one forum if you like.
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool

T-Rex
06-16-2001, 05:30 AM
Thanks paintfool for your reply, I'll do that as well.

Leaflin
07-20-2001, 05:29 PM
Karen what is Masa Paper?
I think I have some that someone gave me and I sure would like to know how to use it. :)

T-Rex
07-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Hi Leaflin :D ,

Masa paper is a Japanese paper, similar to rice paper. It has a rough and a smooth side. The idea is to wet it, wrinkle it and crack the sizing. Once the sizing is cracked, it is extremely delicate like tissue paper. You put color (watercolor or ink) and stain it......then, ta da ....it looks like a batik. I love it. From that point you can try to create a design or do something pre-conceived. Its really something that will decide for you what your composition is going to be.

Its very absorbent and can bleed easily when cracked, I've been using it w/out cracking it for watercolors and they just melt together, I love working w/ it, its fun:clap: .......Karen

Leaflin
07-26-2001, 09:16 PM
Thank You Karen :)