PDA

View Full Version : Night Canals

Neverstsfyd
07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
A 9" X 12" Prismacolor colored pencil drawing of a photoqraph I was inspired by.
I'm really new at colors and values. Right now, I'm trying to darken my work with French greys and browns. I also cannot get the canal colors right on my scratchpad pallate. I started with a light pink underpaint then followed with oranges and French grey 50%. It looks too dark. I lighten it with canary yellow, too yellow, white, too white. :(

The top and sides are straight it is the photograph that is crooked. Yeah I know I need a ruler, it was all freehand. All comment appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2012/1089052-venice_4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2012/1089052-Venice3.JPG

Andrewcody
07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi Never, welcome to here.
I suggest you focus on the drafting of the work first before concerning yourself with colour values. The drafting will be critical in making your work effective. The reference is good, though perhaps a little dark for an eventual colour study. The centre of interest is effectively the centre of the work, this will work if the drafting is accurate, they eye will be led by the waterway to the left of the main central building.
The bridge which you have completed is too large, and is also angled, and you have a few perspective problems with the building on the left, very noticeable at the bottom. There is a perspective problem with the buildings at the right rear of the main central building, and as you have no doubt already found a major problem on the left to the left of the small tower.
building. These problems emphasize the importance of getting the drafting done accurately first.
Andrew

Neverstsfyd
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Never, welcome to here.
I suggest you focus on the drafting of the work first before concerning yourself with colour values. The drafting will be critical in making your work effective. The reference is good, though perhaps a little dark for an eventual colour study. The centre of interest is effectively the centre of the work, this will work if the drafting is accurate, they eye will be led by the waterway to the left of the main central building.
The bridge which you have completed is too large, and is also angled, and you have a few perspective problems with the building on the left, very noticeable at the bottom. There is a perspective problem with the buildings at the right rear of the main central building, and as you have no doubt already found a major problem on the left to the left of the small tower.
building. These problems emphasize the importance of getting the drafting done accurately first.
Andrew

Yes to everything you said. I appreciate the reply. I do intend to start over. I do need help with the colors before I commit though. If you will look at the photo the bridge on the right is angled a bit. You can see the other spane on the left side.

I did not ad as many girder suppoerts as there is because of scale and there would be no detail. I also eliminated some of the fire escapes so I could concentrate on the color. The tower at left in the sun just kept getting bigger because I was working on the colors and the waxing from the pencils. I did this work before I found French grey pencils in percentages of values. I did a hand study just with those in about an hour and loved the greys.
One of my major questions to pros is do I complete the drawings in pencil or the greys with shadows first then colors or vice versa?

Either way I try it I seem to not get the colors I want.

The thumb looks too long but I have long thumbs! :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2012/1089052-myhand2.JPG

Andrewcody
07-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Long thumb or short fingers -

I am not familiar with French grey pencils in percentages -- percentages of what??

Why don't you just get some standard graphite pencils, an F, a HB, a 2B and maybe a 4B to start with and use these?

Draft first - at least get the positioning and the co-relationships in and the dimensional and perspective problems solved before you colour.

Keep the pencil faint.

Andrew

Neverstsfyd
07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Long thumb or short fingers -

I am not familiar with French grey pencils in percentages -- percentages of what??

Why don't you just get some standard graphite pencils, an F, a HB, a 2B and maybe a 4B to start with and use these?

Draft first - at least get the positioning and the co-relationships in and the dimensional and perspective problems solved before you colour.

Keep the pencil faint.

Andrew

Percetages of color, values, they are like pencils but wax pencils. just greys. When I use regular pencils, I tend to scratch the paper and can't use colored pencils over it. So the French greys serve as my drafting pencils. This is from my art teacher and my first ever art lesson.

Andrewcody
07-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Wax pencils - Ok - I think I know what you mean now, you are not using graphite at all, just the prismacolour premier colour pencils?
Being wax based they are thick and soft and can be difficult to sharpen as the cores are susceptible to breaking.
Wax based colours are best blended on a heated board or by using a solvent, not recommended in an enclosed area or near any flame.
Personally for what you are doing I would use the harder Verithin range for detailed work, these are also wax based but much harder

Andrew

Debzy
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I cannot critique on this as I am not at all familiar with anything but regular lead pencils. However, I think if you take Andrews advice it may be useful. The reference photo is spectacular and I can understand why you would be keen to have a go at it. I agree that drawing the whole thing first and getting light and dark values in the right places would help a lot. It will familiarise you with the subject and when it comes time to do the colour version you will be more able to achieve your goal and choose suitable colours. I wish you good luck and give you credit for attempting such a difficult subject with pencils. I myself would take the easier way out and use paint!!!! Cheers and keep smiling Debs. =))

aventurinedream
07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
I don't know anything about drawing but I really like the colors you have started.

Neverstsfyd
07-20-2012, 02:12 AM
I have since been taking some art pencil lessons and discovered my sketchbook paper is not cutting it. Neither ar the Crayola colored pencils mixed in with my Prismacolors. :0

To get the best from night canals, I wouild have to make it a bigger format possibly even into 24 X 18 range. So, my quest is to find a paper I like and change /adjust. my style to fit this paper
I think night canals has to get bigger to allow the fiddly stuf to creep in

I plan upon a study